BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Regarding all these threads on failed welds...

2667 17
First, This is really terrible coming from BMW. Sounds to me like a few of their Kuka Robotics took some time off.

Anyway, what are the build dates of the affected X5's ?

Thanks.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Seems very sporadic. Can't really be nailed down to certain build dates
Are these failed weld sounds persistent - i.e. not related to temperature, speed, and are just constant? As I mentioned in a previous thread in a 2013 X5 I get an occassional brief click from the pillarr where my seat belt comes out - not even related to bumps or rough road, and only when ythe outside temp is in the 90's and the vehicle has been sitting out in the sun - I can only describe is as the sound that is made if a nut is dropped in a plastic cup. Have not brought it in to the dealer because it might occur 5 times in my 45 mile commute, and after a while no "click". Can anyone with a documented weld problem describe the symptoms?
Hi Ben,

I too get a brief click or crack sound in the B-pillar but I can replicate it by lightly pressing in the area of where the seat belt come out of the B-pillar. To me it just seems like it's the trim or finish pieces that are making the noise, maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think that by lightly pressing on the trim piece that I could be aggravating a failed weld that is quite a ways away from the interior trim.:dunno:
Are these failed weld sounds persistent - i.e. not related to temperature, speed, and are just constant? As I mentioned in a previous thread in a 2013 X5 I get an occassional brief click from the pillarr where my seat belt comes out - not even related to bumps or rough road, and only when ythe outside temp is in the 90's and the vehicle has been sitting out in the sun - I can only describe is as the sound that is made if a nut is dropped in a plastic cup. Have not brought it in to the dealer because it might occur 5 times in my 45 mile commute, and after a while no "click". Can anyone with a documented weld problem describe the symptoms?
That was my thought also (or my hope) - if I press down on that area and hold it I don't get the noise. I was hoping that someone who has a documented weld problem can give us a description before my paranoia leads me to a BMW SA who can't reproduce the noise.
You described it well.....mine is on the passenger side of the X5 (2012) near where the seat belt comes out. I thought at times it was a trim problem......sorta sounds like the window is in the channel too tight. I sure would like to know what the issue is.
Exactly the same noise on my 8500miles X5d.
Had it looked couple months back and they did put in some kind of padding... Still hearing again this weekend.
Soon going back to East Bay BMW.
It's driving me nuts on top of harsh ride with the crapy 20' Dunlop's.
I think "jeffmin's" post concerning this is exactly right. His comments are: "Creaking in the B pillars. OMG, BMW still hasn't addressed the cheap plastic B pillar covers that constantly squeak and creak when the outside temp gets above 90. My 07 had the same issue, and it drives me nuts. Why can't they use better plastics; unforgiveable in a $66K vehicle. As a point of reference, my 3 series are tight as drums with no interior squeaks and creaks." I took a rubber mallet to my cracking area under the passenger's seat belt outlet and tapped several placed and am happy to say the noise has stopped.
I believe the creakin issue is unacceptable at this price point. If their is a problem and u have warranty please do use it, see if they come to the same conclusion. It's better to see if their truly is a weld issue on ur vehicle rather then chalking it upto trim expanding. I wouldn't hitting it with a mallet or any other blunt object since YMMV, and u might do more harm then good. Again u have a warranty use it. Just try to find a dealership service center who u trust.
Heard the creak in the X5 I drove too... hot day.
Luckily ours has been whisper quiet so far (only 1,100 miles though). The '10 35d we had prior to this one did have some intermittent creaking but that was during cold temps and not warm.
OK did it sound like this (ignore the anime I had to merge video in to get youtube to post my rattle audio: http://youtu.be/RLdugIZbe5Q

I just had it fixed at the dealer and they did a great job, no rattle at all now, I thought it was either the B-piller or the door and usually would only hear it transiently, but while stopped at a red light late at night it started so I used my dictation recorder to get it while the X5 was not in motion. If this is what yours was like I will scan my service report when I get a chance and post it, to summarize it reads:

"6776 FOUND SEAT BELT BRACKET RATTLING UPON INSPECTION HEARD RATTLE ON RIGHT SIDE OF CABIN AREA. REMOVED RIGHT FRONT DOOR PANEL AND FOUND NO LOOSE COMPONENTS. REINSTALLED DOOR PANEL AND REPLACED ALL DOOR CLIPS. TEST DROVE AND RATTLE STILL PRESENT. REMOVED BACKREST OF REAR SEAT AND B-PILLAR IN REAR SEAT AND FOUND SEAT BELT BRACKET TO BE RATTLING AGAINST B-PILLAR FRAME. APPLIED INSULATING TAPE AGAINST B-PILLAR FRAME. REINSTALLED B-PILLAR AND RATTLE WENT AWAY"

Perfect service and problem fixed for me.
You described it well.....mine is on the passenger side of the X5 (2012) near where the seat belt comes out. I thought at times it was a trim problem......sorta sounds like the window is in the channel too tight. I sure would like to know what the issue is.
BTW if anyone wants to see the real youtube video search po pi po on youtube, funny funny stuff.
Regardless of the source of the creaking noise ***8211; is the creaking noise good enough to lemon the car if BMW fails to fix it four times? Does the lemon law definition of ***8220;nonconformity***8221; include creaking noise? The nonconformity should impair the use, value, or safety of the car (at least under Californian lemon law). In my view, the value of the creaking car is impaired.

Did anybody try to lemon creaking car?
My 2012 X5 had issue may be couple of time, again in high temp ( very few days in Portland), those days car was in parking lot and click sound came couple of times and went off.. My car is built during Aug 1st week of 2011..
Not sure about hitting dealer for this..
Initially if the creak was from the welds then BMW ended up lemonin the car. However afterwards I'm guessing someone at BMW figured they could fix it and save themselves from paying a for a lemon. most dealers can carry out at their shops to resolve the problem. So the answer to your question, partially is yes, if you found the source of the creak from welds before BMW figured the fix.

At the present moment, if ur car emanates that noise and your dealer can't seem to resolve the situation and u meet the time requirement for the lemon law then yes, hypothetically you can use that. However the reality which determines your success in using the lemon law towards your particular vehicle is dependent on two things:

a) will your dealer consider your noise as a defect that it needs to address or chaulk it up to environmental conditions that caused the material to expand, in which they have no way to control even if you got another vehicle since they share the same components which will behave similarly.

b) will bmwna consider paying u a large sum of money over a noise

Hope that clears up somethings
Regardless of the source of the creaking noise ***8211; is the creaking noise good enough to lemon the car if BMW fails to fix it four times? Does the lemon law definition of "nonconformity" include creaking noise? The nonconformity should impair the use, value, or safety of the car (at least under Californian lemon law). In my view, the value of the creaking car is impaired.

Did anybody try to lemon creaking car?
NoI4plz, thanks for your response. I am not interested what dealer or BMW NA considers, thinks, plans or intends to do. Of course, you are not a friend when you want to use lemon law.

Lemon law is pretty new concept for me, since I am European. However, based on what I understand you have lemon if (i) you meet the number of days when the car was being fixed, or (ii) if BMW fails to fix it four times and the defect impairs the use, value, or safety of the car. It is logic for me that the creaking noise impairs the value of the car. If you want to sell the car and the potential buyer hears the noise, he will walk away, right? If there are defective welds and BMW fixes the defect by welding and painting, it also impairs the value (even more, because the paint is not as from the factory, the repair probably is recorded in carfax).

My question is whether somebody came across similar lemon cases. What is logic for me, is not necessarily for others (including judges).
The answer is yes. If it happens after the 3rd time and is expected to not happen then a creaking noise will allow you to lemon law it. How do I know? Many relatives in the auto business who have had this exact scenario at various dealerships. Sometimes people seem to just make up the creak to return the car, but if its recordable (camera and microphone) and reproducible, they will loose the case if they fight you. May take time though. FYI this is not a hypothetical, its happened multiple times in multiple different car brands. Obviously its better for everyone if they just fix it and fortunatly my rattle is gone. I will say this, every car i have ever had had some rattle at some time, it takes a lot of noise and consistent noise for me to take it in.
NoI4plz, thanks for your response. I am not interested what dealer or BMW NA considers, thinks, plans or intends to do. Of course, you are not a friend when you want to use lemon law.

Lemon law is pretty new concept for me, since I am European. However, based on what I understand you have lemon if (i) you meet the number of days when the car was being fixed, or (ii) if BMW fails to fix it four times and the defect impairs the use, value, or safety of the car. It is logic for me that the creaking noise impairs the value of the car. If you want to sell the car and the potential buyer hears the noise, he will walk away, right? If there are defective welds and BMW fixes the defect by welding and painting, it also impairs the value (even more, because the paint is not as from the factory, the repair probably is recorded in carfax).

My question is whether somebody came across similar lemon cases. What is logic for me, is not necessarily for others (including judges).
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.