Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Newbie here. I have a 2000 Z3. I recently had AAA put in a new battery. Since then I have had a lot of trouble with the battery losing charge after a few days of non usage. I had the battery checked and it is good. I then read some BMW's have to have a new battery "registered" to the car. Is that something I need to do on a 2000 Z2? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Your Z3 is not new enough to have to register the battery. There is something else that is draining your juice.

·
BMW CCA 1405
5,092 Posts
... recently had AAA put in a new battery. Since then I have had a lot of trouble with the battery losing charge after a few days of non usage. I had the battery checked and it is good...
How long have you had the car? Why did you replace the old battery? Are you saying the losing of charge only happened after the new battery was installed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the car in August of last year. While it needed some work it would always start fine. When the quarantine hit I didn't drive it for a while. One day I go to start it up and no luck. I figure that the battery was old and needed to be replaced. AAA came out and replaced it. Worked fine for a while. Then if I didn't start the car for 2-3 days it would go dead. (I have to jumpstart it now)I took it to a BMW mechanic today who checked the battery and it passed the test. He also checked the altenator. The alternator voltage was a bit low but before replacing it, which he said can be expensive, he wants to run a test on the fuses. He is only open a few days a week so I am going to bring it back Monday for him to run some kind of test to see if a fuse is bad. Apparently this is a very tedious test. It's good to know that the battery doesn't have to be registered, thanks.

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,716 Posts
The trunk light in our cars has been known to not go off when the trunk in closed. A quick test by taking a video by putting your phone in the trunk when you close the trunk can eliminate that possibility.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip! I tried putting my phone in the trunk but unfortunately (ha ha) the light functioned correctly. It went off when I closed the trunk. I was hoping this would be the answer. BTW, the car started fine this morning, but if I wait 2-3 days before staring it again it will be dead.

·
BMW CCA 1405
5,092 Posts
... he wants to run a test on the fuses... some kind of test to see if a fuse is bad. Apparently this is a very tedious test...
He is not going to test for bad fuses. He is going to test each fuse location to see if there is a drain, in order to locate the source in the car.

·
The Arkleyologist
574 Posts
I would want to know exactly what the values were on the alternator check..it should be putting out 13-14 volts with the motor running/driving...you can purchase a voltage output gage on ebay for very little money...you plug it into your 12 volt recepticle on the dash

1 - 8 of 8 Posts