1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Happily Driving
7,219 Posts
Octane is calculated in Europe using a different method. Suffice it to say, the grades are equivalent. BMW's that are sold in the USA (including ED cars) will indicate what the minimum octane should be when gas is bought in North America.

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
Me530 said:
Octane is calculated in Europe using a different method. Suffice it to say, the grades are equivalent. BMW's that are sold in the USA (including ED cars) will indicate what the minimum octane should be when gas is bought in North America.
Exactly right. From Wikipedia: Click for Complete Article

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-95 (regular) in Europe.
Hope this helps some. :thumbup:

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I said, I am waiting for the retraction next week. :thumbup:

Cheers

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
X3 Skier said:
As I said, I am waiting for the retraction next week. :thumbup: Cheers
You're right. I missed your link the first time through, and that article should have a retraction. :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts