BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Regular maintenance - oil change for my 550

1079 4
Is the once yearly oil change/maintenance suggested by BMW and part of their 4-year program enough for a 550? I plan on driving it primarily highway miles - total of 10k a year.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
It depends. There are many good threads on here about frequency of oil changes. The basic gist of them is that if you are leasing and intend to turn the car in at the end of the lease period, it is probably good enough to follow the BMW recommended oil change frequency, but if you own and plan on holding on to the car for more than 4 years, more frequent oil changes may be adviseable. The exact frequency is subject to debate.
Is the once yearly oil change/maintenance suggested by BMW and part of their 4-year program enough for a 550? I plan on driving it primarily highway miles - total of 10k a year.
If it were my car I would change it every 5 k miles

If you plan to keep it! I have concerns abut the filter lasting 10 k miles.
Highway miles are easy on a car. You should be fine with BMW intervals.
It's short trips in extreme weather that's harder on oil. Highway miles are the easiest. Once a year 10k mostly highway miles should be totally fine. Unless your driving resembles severe conditions, I wouldn't worry about it.

SEVERE DRIVING CONDITIONS:
A - Repeatedly driving short distance of less than 5 miles (8 km) in normal temperature or less than 10 miles (16 km) in freezing temperature
B - Extensive engine idling or low speed driving for long distances
C - Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or salt- spread roads
D - Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very coldweather
E - Driving in sandy areas
F - Driving in heavy traffic area over 90°F (32°C)
G - Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road
H - Towing a Trailer, or using a camper, or roof rack
I - Driving as a patrol car, taxi, other commercial use or vehicle towing
J - Driving over 106 mph (170 km/h)
K - Frequently driving in stop-and-go conditions
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.