BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to bid on a whole set of control arms with tire rods and the bushings
the ones that are poly are more expenciver.
also I am buying from a a FCP brand, Ever heard of it?(the got good ratings)
I dont want to get Meyel HD bushings they are significtly expensiver.

any constructive advice?

They are going to be going on a 325 coupe with stock sport supsension

Is the ride on Poly bushings furmer, do they last longer?

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
If the car is a daily-driver, the rubber bushings are fine for their role. They do squirm quite a bit more than poly bushings under load. If you are tracking or autocrossing the car, the rubber bushings with limiters are perfect. (http://www.rogueengineering.com/Mer...een=PROD&Product_Code=RTAB_SHIM&Category_Code or http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TSU9990001)

Poly bushings like Powerflex units are more costly, but do not make things any more harsh at the rear. They are far easier to install after the original rubber ones are pressed out as they hand-press into the housing. They don't squirm as much as the rubber trailing arm bushings, the amount of squirm and harshness depends on the compound used.

Poly bushings are marketed to last longer than rubber bushings, though there is some discussion as to whether this is actually the case. The regular pounding of crappy roads on hard bushings on a daily basis can be a bad thing. While I do not recall seeing rear poly bushings blown out, there are a few instances where FCABs have cracked and blown. This *may* have been a manufacturing defect, or it may have been the use of a great track-focused part in an ill-advised daily driver role.

(Full disclosure, I'm running Powerflex FCABs and RTABs for the last few thousand miles. I'm pleased enough with performance, we'll wait and see about longevity....)

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,954 Posts
)

Poly bushings are marketed to last longer than rubber bushings, though there is some discussion as to whether this is actually the case.
I have over 50k miles on my powerflex front cabs and have no signs of wear. And I can take them off with my hand. JVR is the only one with documented failure of the PF I have seen.

The powerflex RTABS I put in a month ago were one of the best things I did. MUCH tighter in the rear! (begin childish "that's what she said comments now")

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
I have over 50k miles on my powerflex front cabs and have no signs of wear. And I can take them off with my hand. JVR is the only one with documented failure of the PF I have seen.

The powerflex RTABS I put in a month ago were one of the best things I did. MUCH tighter in the rear! (begin childish "that's what she said comments now")
I like mine, I'm hoping for performance similar to yours. Damyankee had issues like jvr826 did (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391353). There are a lot of them installed out there, only a few failures, so here's to hope!
:beerchug:

I've been in alignment hell for the past 2 months! I kept waiting for 'everything' to be sorted out before putting the car on a rack and aligning it. From the LSD, to the CABs, TABs, CV joint, bad wheel bearing, finally to the control arms last weekend. With each step it was drifting a bit further from 'right.'

I finally got it aligned this morning. It's nice to have a car that is driven rather than 'aimed.' Just in time for Monday's track day at NJMP Lightning!

(edit - forgot - THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I started to bid on a whole set of control arms with tire rods and the bushings
the ones that are poly are more expenciver.
also I am buying from a a FCP brand, Ever heard of it?(the got good ratings)
I dont want to get Meyel HD bushings they are significtly expensive.

any constructive advice?

They are going to be going on a 325 coupe with stock sport supsension

Is the ride on Poly bushings furmer, do they last longer?
Fixed..and NO, they are not!

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...nsion System&[email protected] Arm Bushing Kit :angel:

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
Fixed..and NO, they are not!
Did you take out the R in 'expensiver' and NOT go after all of the other butchered language in that sentence? It's been a long day..... I'm just wondering.......

;)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Did you take out the R in 'expensiver' and NOT go after all of the other butchered language in that sentence? It's been a long day..... I'm just wondering.......

;)
I know, I was tired too! I figured only expensive was key.. :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts