BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Reinforced Muffler Hangers

6075 11
I replaced my (pretty much non-existent... they weren't holding anything) muffler hangers about 2 months ago with ones from Pelican Parts (P/N: 18211177708), realoem diagram:

I had to wrench down super hard on my c-clamp to raise the muffler in order to get them on the actual hangers that were bolted to the frame, and when I unloaded the muffler's weight from the c-clamp they both stretched out quite a bit and knew they wouldn't last.
I took advantage of a BMWCCA sponsored undercarriage inspection at a local shop today, and sure enough they were hanging on by threads.
Question is, does anyone know of any reinforced muffler mounts, or a better way to hold the muffler up without buying the rubber rings? The tech at the shop said they buy only original parts, however I know they order all the parts from the dealer because the owner told me. The tech assured me that they would hold up better than the ones I got from Pelican Parts. I am somewhat skeptical of this because I'm almost positive the OEM BMW hangers will be rubber as well, similar in strength to the ones from Pelican.
I searched the forums and the web to no avail... what to do? :dunno:
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
The stock ones on my car are still in good shape after 20 years. I would agree with the tech, you can do better than the Pelican parts version.

Then there is the remote possibility that something else is wrong with the system that is overloading the hangers.
Hey Goose, the next time you need to replace the hangers, try using a floor jack underneath the muffler to lift it. I have done it and it works great. If you are worried about denting the muffler, you can use a piece of plywood to distribute the weight.
+2 :thumbup:

Item #12 of the OEM diagram (on my car) looks to be made from the same stiff material they make serpentine drive belts out of.

If your exhaust happens to be tweaked, from being unsupported, it might be a little bit of a bitch to get new hangers threaded back up in there. :dunno:
The stock ones on my car are still in good shape after 20 years. I would agree with the tech, you can do better than the Pelican parts version.
FYI, My cente rrubber donut like hanger, just behind the center muffler(?) stretches out and I replace it from time to time. Yes, lift the exhaust up. Could use a bottle jack and block of wood to lift as well. I would rrecomend OE as well.
The hangers from Pelican were super stiff when I put them on, I couldn't even make them flex. That is why I'm doubting the OEM versions will be any better.

And it was definitely tough getting them on because the exhaust was unsupported for a while.

I suppose I'll try the OEM ones since they're cheap enough, but don't really have high hopes. I'll post back on the results when I get them installed, most likely in a few weeks when things settle down (i.e. weddings, bachelor parties, vacations, etc)!

Thanks for everyone's input!

Sent from my Droid Incredible
+2 :thumbup:

Item #12 of the OEM diagram (on my car) looks to be made from the same stiff material they make serpentine drive belts out of.

If your exhaust happens to be tweaked, from being unsupported, it might be a little bit of a bitch to get new hangers threaded back up in there. :dunno:
I installed the new muffler hangers last night. I bought them direct from the dealer for $12 apiece. I also bought some stainless steel band clamps to help with reinforcement. The quality difference can be seen in the pictures below. The Pelican Parts ones were reinforced with some stuff that looked like backpack straps (for lack of a better description). The ones from the dealership, which were special order, looked a little heavier duty. See below for pictures:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

These should hold up longer than the Pelican Parts hangers. Time will tell!

Steve & rdc- thanks for the tip on jacking up the muffler with a floor jack- it worked like a charm. I used a piece of wood between the muffler and the jack and it worked awesome.

On another note, I fixed this and one other issue on my car, and wouldn't you know it, my seat developed a squeak RIGHT after I finished! It's like the to-do list will never end :mad:
:thumbup:

Now Goose, you really woudn't know how to act if there wasn't something that needed attention now would you ???? :D
looks like those original ones melted
I suspect the exhaust is bent to put that much stress on the hangers.. Try slackening all the joints, jack up to align and re tighten the joints.
This is so true it's not funny. The wife would think something is wrong too when she finds me doing something in my free time that doesn't involve being in/around/under my "mistress". :rofl:

:thumbup:

Now Goose, you really woudn't know how to act if there wasn't something that needed attention now would you ???? :D
I suspect the exhaust is bent to put that much stress on the hangers.. Try slackening all the joints, jack up to align and re tighten the joints.
My thoughts as well, since it had been unsupported for who knows how long, and gravity acting on it 24/7. It's pretty rusty under there, so I might look into two things: bolt up my muffler from my parts car, or buy an aftermarket one to just replace it completely.

Sent from my Droid Incredible
Got mine from getbmwparts for 6.48 per. I used my honda jack and it worked like a charm. Less than 30mins per. The clamp idea is interesting.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.