BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/gals,

I've recently started having more issues with my pain in the rear car. I've been doing my homework a bit on 135i's. They really caught my eye and same as the 335i.

I want to get a concensus on how's the reliability on these 135i's between the two engines? And any other information I should know when I go see the car today. I found three of them for a fantastic price and miles wise.

Also, anyone drive these babies in the snow with snow tires? If so, tell me your experiences.

Thank you!

·
My avatar is a selfie LOL
4,217 Posts
Hi guys/gals,

I've recently started having more issues with my pain in the rear car. I've been doing my homework a bit on 135i's. They really caught my eye and same as the 335i.

I want to get a concensus on how's the reliability on these 135i's between the two engines? And any other information I should know when I go see the car today. I found three of them for a fantastic price and miles wise.

Also, anyone drive these babies in the snow with snow tires? If so, tell me your experiences.

Thank you!
Depends on the year.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking at 2008-2010 e82 and e88(2). Reason primarily cause I plan to mod it and tune it with the JB4. But I'm curious what issues I should be weary of since I'm sure they have a few bugs.

·
My avatar is a selfie LOL
4,217 Posts
I'm looking at 2008-2010 e82 and e88(2). Reason primarily cause I plan to mod it and tune it with the JB4. But I'm curious what issues I should be weary of since I'm sure they have a few bugs.

Just watch the HPFP issue with that N54. In terms of reliability, the N52 in the 128i will be a lot more reliable than the N54 in the 135i. However, the N54 has astronomical tuning potential, when compared to the N52.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Take a look at the latest Consumer Reports ratings. The BMW 135 scored a fantastic 97 rating and sits at the top of the small sports car list. They do not recommend the 08 however, and it seems the 2011 with the revised N55 engine scores very high. I've only had mine for three months and so far so good, it's been a great car. I was originally going to purchase a 2011 335is 6MT convertible (N54) but found the 135i 6MT M-Sport to be the more enjoyable car to drive. Reliability has been great so far and a few mods really make it even better.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi guys/gals,

Thank you!
I would recommend sticking with the 11-up Revised N55 engine for reliability. And if you can get it with 7speed DCT transmission even better. Good luck!:thumbup:

·
Bon Vivant!
398 Posts
A good plan would be to purchase a certified pre-owned car from a BMW dealer. Depending upon the year, you might get close to a new car warranty. Also you can negotiate a decent price with a dealer, but you have to be patient and not jump at their first offer!

Because of the expense of repairs with a BMW, I'd recommend an extending the warranty if you bought your car new. I have never done this with my previous new cars, but some people I have know have had some horrendously expensive repairs of several thousand dollars!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would recommend sticking with the 11-up Revised N55 engine for reliability. And if you can get it with 7speed DCT transmission even better. Good luck!:thumbup:
I found a lemans blue with Boston black leather, fully loaded. It's a 2011 for $22,250. It's a 7 speed DCT trans too. Only 33,000 miles. Going to take a look at it since it's a private seller.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My question is how will this car handle in the snow with Blizzaks? I live in Michigan so it snowed over 90" of snow combined this winter. I've never owned a RWD car, only AWD and FWD. Thanks.

·
Bon Vivant!
398 Posts
It'll will be like any rear wheel drive vehicle in the snow. With ordinary AS tires, it'll slip and slide all over the place unless you are light on the throttle. Snow tires will make things better and chains might be necessary if you get a lot of ice.

If it weren't for the mild winters where I'm at, I'd have a MB 4-matic. As it is, I can drive either car with AS tires year round.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If the extended weather forecast says snow, heavy rain, ice or temps below 40 degrees (ZR summer tires) my 135 stays covered. Don't get me wrong, the 135 is a great dry day car that can also handle normal seasonal weather conditions.

·
Registered
637 Posts
This is my 1st car within RWD and winter tires and ill never go back. Don't get brainwashed into thinking you need a heavy AWD system. Tires are the most important aspect of winter driving!

·
Bon Vivant!
398 Posts
It is true that AWD will take some enjoyment away from driving, but a more important issue is safety. An AWD system may keep you on the road and prevent you from hitting a tree and departing for heaven or elsewhere.

The roads here are treacherous in the winter. In the country they are narrow and difficult to drive on, and unfortunately they all seem to lined with trees on both sides. Innumerable souls have lost traction and ended up hitting a tree!

·
Registered
383 Posts
135i + Blizzaks is a no problem driving experience here in Chicago. We got 89" this season plus a bit more today. I've only gotten stuck one time when trying plow my way through our alley, only because I had help nearby. The tires did so well for about 25 yards that the car finally beached itself on the snow (lowered, too!). I had to jack it up and clear the foot of snow under the belly in order to proceed

For winter tires, make sure to have a dedicated set of wheels and stick with a narrow tire. 205/50-17 has worked great for me. We have an AWD A4 I'm the family, and I've driven an E46 M3 on bald summer tires through winter before, so I can tell you that the 1er is right there with the Audi.

PS- JB4 is awesome on N54.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.