BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a BMW for some time now and finally made the decision to buy one, which I did about a month ago. After I bought it I found bimmerfest and some other discussion boards. It wasn't until I started reading these discussions that I found out that maybe BMW's have some reliability issues. I've driven Toyota's for the past 15 years and never had any problems. I hope my recent purchase (2005 325CIC) doesn't end up being a money pit. But really, some of the threads I read have me worried. I need someone to tell me everything's going to be ok. I'm afraid of ending up with massive repair bills after the warrenty runs out. :confused:

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
zentenn said:
I wanted a BMW for some time now and finally made the decision to buy one, which I did about a month ago. After I bought it I found bimmerfest and some other discussion boards. It wasn't until I started reading these discussions that I found out that maybe BMW's have some reliability issues. I've driven Toyota's for the past 15 years and never had any problems. I hope my recent purchase (2005 325CIC) doesn't end up being a money pit. But really, some of the threads I read have me worried. I need someone to tell me everything's going to be ok. I'm afraid of ending up with massive repair bills after the warrenty runs out. :confused:
If you car is like mine, it has become more reliable as it got older.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The latest JDPowers report shows that the BMW was the 3rd best vehicle. But the reports is only for thefirst 3 months of ownership.

Be positive. You will be fine ;)

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
Not trying to be smart arse but...
you have a 4 year or 50,000 mile full BMW warranty, worry about it in 4 years.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
If you're used to Toyota reliability, you may be disappointed unless you luck out and get a good one.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Desertnate said:
If you car is like mine, it has become more reliable as it got older.
Yes, I've found that to be true also. I've had two BMW's before this and I had a few kinks to get out within the first year, but then had no problems at all until I sold them (at about 135K miles each) other than normal maintenance like brakes, tires, maybe a radiator or water pump at about 100K which I think is acceptable. I bought this one with 32K miles on it last year and haven't had one problem. I think it's important to remember that people post about problems they have and for helpful advice so you're not going to hear much from the people who've had no problems at all. Maybe I've just been lucky, but before my first BMW I had a Toyota and I didn't have many problems with that either, but more than I have had with any of my BMWs.

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
Wow, someone who hasn't heard that BMW has poor reliability. OP, have you heard of MB's reliability woes? Just wondering if anyone hasn't heard of THAT yet.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
My BMWs have been more reliable than my Toyota was. :)

·
This Guy
804 Posts
zentenn said:
In all fairness to you and BMW, wouldn't research BEFORE buying the car have helped? I too have come from toyotas, my last two cars being a Lexus IS300 and a Scion xA. Before I bought my 328, I researched the crap out of them...sure the BMW will not be as cheap to maintain as the others, but it will last just as long, especially mechanically, and, in my opinion, have a higher fun quotient for longer than the lexus or the scion. I have yet to experience the issues I have heard about and as other posters have said, this car seems to get more reliable with age.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Shabba said:
In all fairness to you and BMW, wouldn't research BEFORE buying the car have helped? I too have come from toyotas, my last two cars being a Lexus IS300 and a Scion xA. Before I bought my 328, I researched the crap out of them...sure the BMW will not be as cheap to maintain as the others, but it will last just as long, especially mechanically, and, in my opinion, have a higher fun quotient for longer than the lexus or the scion. I have yet to experience the issues I have heard about and as other posters have said, this car seems to get more reliable with age.
Yeah, you're right. Maybe I should have researched the car first, but I just wanted one. PERIOD! So I guess if there's any reliablity issues I have no one to blame but myself. I'm sure the longer I drive this car the better I'll feel about my concerns. You're also right about the fun factor. This car feels great under my feet and I really like the convertible aspect too. Thanks for your imput.

Attachments

·
909 Posts
zentenn said:
Yeah, you're right. Maybe I should have researched the car first, but I just wanted one. PERIOD! So I guess if there's any reliablity issues I have no one to blame but myself. I'm sure the longer I drive this car the better I'll feel about my concerns. You're also right about the fun factor. This car feels great under my feet and I really like the convertible aspect too. Thanks for your imput.
Well, it's not too terrible but it does need a little more attention (read service) than a typical Japanese car. If you like the fun part, then you have to put up with some reliablilty problems, like most of us. I would rather drive a fun but less reliable car than one which is more reliable but boring (like Lexus).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts