BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well,I've done it.Having owned...and dearly loved...my "d" for almost two years I thought that my relationship with BMW would likely be a lifelong one.But I soon realized that I *needed* something a bit bigger (particularly rear seat leg room) and *wanted* something a bit more luxurious.And then came word about the likelihood of an F10 diesel coming here and I was thrilled.But there's still no word as to when (or,for that matter,if)...while MB currently offers an E Class diesel and is officially taking orders for an S Class one.

So a couple of days ago I put down a deposit on an E Class which I'm scheduled to take delivery of on Friday.I'll part with my "d" sadly but take delivery of my Bluetec with excitement.And if a diesel F10 is available here in,say,3-4 years I'll give it a *very* careful look.If not......

·
Registered
184 Posts
The emotion and sincerity of your post is compelling. I am a neophyte re diesel engines - and am curious why do you choose only a diesel engine automobile?

If it came optioned with a diesel engine, it sounds like the new 740i (740d) would give you the extra size and luxury you seek.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Hopefully BMWNA reads your post. They should be ashamed of themselves for not launching a "d" with the F10 right away.

Moreover, with Audi launching the A6 which appears to have some performance advantages over the F10, somebody really needs to light a fire under BMW.

I don't think they can just sit around and look pretty like they did during the E60 years.

·
Cray
3,883 Posts
See you on the M-B Boards. :D

It's really ridiculous that BMW doesn't offer an F10 Diesel (news to me). Considering how hard they're pushing their 3 Diesel, etc. now.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Well,I've done it.Having owned...and dearly loved...my "d" for almost two years I thought that my relationship with BMW would likely be a lifelong one.But I soon realized that I *needed* something a bit bigger (particularly rear seat leg room) and *wanted* something a bit more luxurious.And then came word about the likelihood of an F10 diesel coming here and I was thrilled.But there's still no word as to when (or,for that matter,if)...while MB currently offers an E Class diesel and is officially taking orders for an S Class one.

So a couple of days ago I put down a deposit on an E Class which I'm scheduled to take delivery of on Friday.I'll part with my "d" sadly but take delivery of my Bluetec with excitement.And if a diesel F10 is available here in,say,3-4 years I'll give it a *very* careful look.If not......
I wish you good luck. I could not wait to get rid of my 2010 E550- It was the fastest car I ever got rid of (two months)....

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Congrats on the new E. I was trying to hold-out for the 535d, but I decided on the 550i because my lease was ending soon and the MB diesel offerings weren't what I was looking for. MB's are decent cars, I bought two in 2007, but 2011 is the year of the Bimmer in our household. :thumbup:

·
Registered
135 Posts

Sorry to see you leave the BMW family. I will warn you, however, if you are looking for something more luxurious, you can forget MB. My father in law has an E class and it it no comparison to the new F10. The E class is a big step down in luxury from the F10. The driving experience also pales in comparison to the F10. While I realize you want/need a diesel, patience might be worth it.

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The emotion and sincerity of your post is compelling. I am a neophyte re diesel engines - and am curious why do you choose only a diesel engine automobile?

If it came optioned with a diesel engine, it sounds like the new 740i (740d) would give you the extra size and luxury you seek.
I assume that you,like the large majority of Americans,have never driven a diesel.That's the only reason I can think of for you having asked this.In short...pin-you-back-in-your-seat torque....and 42mpg on the highway.IMO,once you go diesel you never go back! :bigpimp:

And if I someday win the lottery I'll consider a 740 or an S Class.Until then an E Class or an F10 is my limit.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Sorry to see you leave the BMW family. I will warn you, however, if you are looking for something more luxurious, you can forget MB. My father in law has an E class and it it no comparison to the new F10. The E class is a big step down in luxury from the F10. The driving experience also pales in comparison to the F10. While I realize you want/need a diesel, patience might be worth it.
I certainly don't agree with that assessment - the latest generation E-Class is every but as luxurious as the F10, and it doesn't suffer from the appalling extra weight that BMW loaded into the latest 5 Series. The latest A6 and E-Class are every bit as compelling as the F10, and with the F10's descent from the E60's tight, sporty luxury to the current car's extra weight and numb steering there's really very little that distinguishes the F10 from the latest iterations of the E-Class and the A6. Where BMW with the 5 and MB with the E once offered distinct driving pleasures that appealed to a specific customer, that's no longer strictly true and the brands are philosophically closer than they've ever been.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I assume that you,like the large majority of Americans,have never driven a diesel.That's the only reason I can think of for you having asked this.In short...pin-you-back-in-your-seat torque....and 42mpg on the highway.IMO,once you go diesel you never go back! :bigpimp:

And if I someday win the lottery I'll consider a 740 or an S Class.Until then an E Class or an F10 is my limit.
Let me first say I would love to get a 535d for range reasons, but frankly I am surprised by the LACK of torque in the vehicles I have driven. I guess I am too used to V8 power...

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I certainly don't agree with that assessment - the latest generation E-Class is every but as luxurious as the F10, and it doesn't suffer from the appalling extra weight that BMW loaded into the latest 5 Series. The latest A6 and E-Class are every bit as compelling as the F10, and with the F10's descent from the E60's tight, sporty luxury to the current car's extra weight and numb steering there's really very little that distinguishes the F10 from the latest iterations of the E-Class and the A6.
After torturing myself with two months of a 2010 E550 ownership I can say you are flat out dead wrong. The current E class is such a leap backwards I can't believe they sell any. I traded in my 2007 E550 on the car and a little over a week later I tried my hardest to get the dealer to give me my old car back, it was that much better...

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm inclined to agree that the "E" isn't quite up to the F10's standard luxury-wise.It is,however,a big step up from my "d".But I can't say I noticed a big difference,driving-wise,in the relatively short time I've spent behind the wheel of each.I found them both to be quite different from my "d"...the "d" being somewhat "sporty" and the F10 and the E being somewhat "plush".

And as for patience...those who know me best know that that's a word I can barely even spell. :)

As I suggested...I may well be back.But not if a diesel F10 (or its successor) remains a rumor here rather than a reality.

·
Familienwappen
918 Posts
Have to jump in on this because of an article that was read about the EPA a couple of weeks ago. Despite how hateful the EPA is about powerful gas engines and supposedly repeat supposedly friendly they are in regards to diesel, they actually put quite a few road blocks in the way for diesel powered cars in this country. BMW, MB and others have offered many large and small diesel engine options for a number of years, in fact if go to the the German BMW web site and look at their finance and leasing list you'll find only one or two gasoline cars listed all the others including 7er are diesels. BMWUK and the others that live in Europe and the UK can tell us how long this has been going on. So IMO don't trash BMW about the lack of diesel in this country, work on eliminating the EPA and it's idiot dictatorial policies.:mad:

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Let me first say I would love to get a 535d for range reasons, but frankly I am surprised by the LACK of torque in the vehicles I have driven. I guess I am too used to V8 power...
For me,it's the combination of torque *and* mileage that grabs me.I'm a pretty sedate driver so torque is something I use rarely...passing on an Interstate,mainly....but it's *really* nice to know it's there.And just today I drove from the outskirts of Albany to the outskirts of Boston...41mpg (with a short slowdown on I-90).

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
See you on the M-B Boards. :D

It's really ridiculous that BMW doesn't offer an F10 Diesel (news to me). Considering how hard they're pushing their 3 Diesel, etc. now.
I read just today that with the recent jump in gas prices the Prius...which for the last couple of years has been collecting dust in dealers' lots....is now flying off the shelf.I don't know if there's been a corresponding move toward diesels as well.

·
Cray
3,883 Posts
Makes sense. The Prius was really put on the map during the 2008/2009 fiasco. Seems whenever Gas Prices jump through the roof, everybody moves toward the "quintessential Hybrid", i.e Prius. Fortunately for my eyes, the new Prius is a bit better proportioned and detailed than the previous 2.

Americans need to be educated on Diesels, in order for them to really sell. People still have this negative connotation toward them. I grew up in a W126 Diesel Benz, and I HATED it, that "clack clack" sound, etc., was just embarrassing to me back then. Now, Diesels have come SUCH a long way, but even myself, someone who is pro Diesel in theory, didn't even look into a Bluetec, even given its massive Torque output, and MPG improvement over my not-so-efficient-considering-the-power 3.5L V6 Gasser. Even I need to be warmed into Diesels a bit, but I acknowledge that they're highly beneficial in many ways.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
I certainly don't agree with that assessment - the latest generation E-Class is every but as luxurious as the F10, and it doesn't suffer from the appalling extra weight that BMW loaded into the latest 5 Series. The latest A6 and E-Class are every bit as compelling as the F10, and with the F10's descent from the E60's tight, sporty luxury to the current car's extra weight and numb steering there's really very little that distinguishes the F10 from the latest iterations of the E-Class and the A6. Where BMW with the 5 and MB with the E once offered distinct driving pleasures that appealed to a specific customer, that's no longer strictly true and the brands are philosophically closer than they've ever been.
Bullocks.

I drove several E350's (std. and 4matic) before purchasing my F10. IMO, the E's interior materials are is a step down, as are the interior ergonomics. Moreover the "sport" suspension managed to be floaty and rough at the same time. And the steering made the F10's feel like an F1 car's. I was very disappointed.

THe A6...that should be at least as good as the F10....if not better.

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So IMO don't trash BMW about the lack of diesel in this country, work on eliminating the EPA and it's idiot dictatorial policies.:mad:
Is it the EPA...or California? I think it's more the latter.Importing a car that can't be sold in a couple of the country's biggest states (California,New York,Massachusetts) probably doesn't make sense,financially speaking.Neutralize those dope smoking tree worshipers in Sacramento and the diesel picture here might look a lot different.

·
Cray
3,883 Posts
Bullocks.

Moreover the "sport" suspension managed to be floaty and rough at the same time.
I hate to hear this, because it's spot on. I think the car rides incredibly on smooth road, but when it gets rough, it gets REALLY harsh, and for something that gets so harsh on rough roads, you don't get the handling benefits. I personally think my car handles great, but I'm not really into performance or handling when it comes a Luxury Sedan right now, just a luxurious and stylish ride.

Testing the F10 myself, I found it to be far more similar to the E than the previous generation was (and vice versa), where it was really more of a classic Benz VS BMW situation.

Interior materials I find to be on par between the two, better for the Benz here, for the BMW there. Tech I give to the BMW. Engineering thoughtfulness to the Benz. I do find the E to have a more solid, logical, comforting, and airy/open interior ambiance, while the F10 has a cozier, more plush, "wrapped around you" environment. I'll say I think each interior speaks well for what each brand represents, classically and modernly, but I prefer the E's environment, but that could also be because I have "M-B in my blood".

I also find them to ride, and handle similarly enough, while the F10, even with the extra weight, feels more springy and light on its feet (535 VS E350), and has a bit of a fussier stop-and-go characteristic, while the E feels a bit more solid and quiet.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.