BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A you know there are 2 additional charges that are tacked on by your dealer and not listed online:

6 Disc CD Changer if you have the NAV
Alarm System

Geez, I love the NAV option. It really comes in handy when your job takes you on the road to visit clients, etc..

I have the NAV unit in my other car, that is why when when I do get my 330, I will want the NAV again.

Since the NAV takes up the single CD space, BMW will charge you for the 6 disc CD changer and installation in the trunk area.

My other car has the NAV & 6 disc CD changer already included!

I still can't believe that BMW doesn't have a standard and good Alarm System on this car (maybe this will change for 2003?), so again that is another charge by your BMW dealer to install a their alarm.

I know you can get this all aftermarket too, but sometimes that is just a hassle, especially when you want it all ready for you at the time of pick up.

These 2 additions can add around another $1,000 for options!

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
I would recommend the Alpine MP3 changer over the OEM unit. Installation is easy enough (especially with Nav) as it is pre-wired, and it is cheaper and better than the one the dealer gives you ($260 + $115 in adapters + brackets). Several dealers I talked to (not Cutter though) wanted $800-900 for the changer with installation.

The alarm installation is also pretty easy. Everything is pre-wired... read the howto either here (do a search) or on the e46fanatics FAQ. It is pretty painless and will leave you more cash to spend on something more important - like a driving school or detailing supplies. ;)

For both you're looking at around $650-700 max with alarm activiation at the dealer. It's really worth it to do it yourself.

Good luck,

--SONET

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sonet,

Thanks for the recommendations. I still can't believe such a nice car as the 330 does not have a standard alarm system. I wonder if the keys are still coded at least?

I believe there is also a glove compartment mounted CD changes option, but there is little space in that area and may not be as practical.

Thanks again for the info.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
I agree I've said it many times, alarm should be standard, and a IN DASH 6 DISK CD CHANGER should be in there also. I dont think they will change it because everyone just pays for it and dont say a thing. Then again saying something wouldn't change things either, oh well..they are behind! :thumbdwn:

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
Missing alarm pissed me off. My Audi A4 came standard with a alarm so I assumed the BMW did too. Especially since it had keyless entry, but nope. I researched a lot too but I guess I missed it.

Alarm,floormats should be standard. Plus the cheap plastic emergency brake handle on our wagon is a disgrace, leather or decent plastic standard. I guess 6-disc in-dash should be standard since most cars have it nowadays but I dont mind that much.

Enough complaining, need to go drive
:D

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
I agree, floormats not standard is ridiculous, that should be standard, 6 disk, and alarm...and better plastic, this wood trim mess will never be purchased again...I hate snap crackle and pop:thumbdwn:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts