BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just posting this to thank the other forum posters, and to post my own SOLUTION to give back to this forum.

My car is bone stock. Suddenly, the doors stopped locking when the remote is clicked.

Symptoms:
1) remote I'll chirp the alarm and set it. I know the alarm is set because opening any door or trunk will set off the siren.
2) that was also how I tested each door sensor, by setting the alarm and opening each door one at a time to see if it made the siren go off. It did.
3) with the alarm set, opening the trunk DID NOT cause the siren to go off
4) I checked the trunk wiring harness at the hinge and found several broken wires. Soldered them and tested all other wires using an ohmmeter and some very sharp probes.
5) the inside door lock button didn't lock or unlock the doors or anything
6) the key in the door locks didn't lock or unlock the doors or anything
7) sitting inside the car, I noted clicking the remote armed and disarmed the alarm system; the LED in the center console would flash when armed and stop flashing when disarmed. So the alarm was responding to the remote. Anybody who says this is because my remote battery was dead is incorrect.
8) sitting in the car at night, I also noticed I can click the remote to set the alarm and the interior lights came on. They would stay on awhile before dimming to off. However, if I pressed the center console DOOR LOCK button, the interior lights would quickly turn off (without waiting the normal delay time before self dimming). This told me the center console DOOR LOCK BUTTON was working.
9) I had checked the fuses under the hood. They looked ok to me.
10) all this advice on the forum about CENTRAL LOCKING SYSTEM fuses in the trunk or behind the glovebox is WRONG (I BELIEVE). Don't waste your time looking under the seats, in the trunk, or rip apart the glovebox looking for fuses. Sure, there may be faulty wiring connectors in those places but IF YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS LIKE MINE (ALARM RESPONDING TO REMOTE, DOORS AND TRUNK SETTING OFF THE SIREN WHEN OPENED, AND INTERIOR LIGHTS DIMMING IMMEDIATELY WHEN CENTER CONSOLE LOCK BUTTON PRESSED) YOU SHOULDNT BE TEARING INTO THESE OBSCURE PLACES. INSTEAD, TEST IF YOUR TRUNK SETS OFF THE ALARM AND CHECK THE TRUNK HINGE WIRING FOR BROKEN WIRES, THEN CHECK THE FUSES UNDER THE HOOD CAREFULLY!

The solution was simple:
1) my trunk hinge wires had broken and shorted which burned Fuse 35 under the hood
2) if I just changed the fuse, without fixing the broken trunk hinge wires, I'd burn the fuse again
3) so I repaired the trunk hinge wires and tested all of the others for continuity to make sure they all were ok.
4) Then, I found Fuse 35 under the hood was burnt (it looked fine but had a tiny melted crack in it). REPLACING FUSE 35 FIXED THE PROBLEM!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts