BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gerard
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I have this recurring fault with my 2012 X3 which the BMW service centre cannot 'diagnose'.
Perhaps 50% of the time when I go to start the car I get a fault on the screen and the dash display that says, "Remote control not present or fault. Engine cannot be started. See owners manual".
When I go into the Check control menu on IDrive, there are no faults.
The fault clears after about 30 seconds but the car refuses to start unless I hold the key fob up against the steering column.

BMW checked the voltage in both fob batteries and conceded that one was a bit low and eventually replaced that under warranty. Yet the problem persists with both remotes.

Anyone else have this sort of issue and how was it resolved? I believe that the wireless receiver has poor sensitivity, probably bought on by a faulty module or bad joint at the antenna but since BMW can't find a thing wrong, they won't change any parts to fault find as without hard data it isn't a fault and the dealer will have to pay for parts.

Very poor form from BMW on this one as it has been happening for months and I have documented times and dates of the failures and photographed the fault condition on both displays which I have provided to BMW as evidence of the issue.

Worse still when I can't unlock the doors and have to use the emergency key to open the door and then hold the fob against the steering wheel.

Cheers,

Gerard

·
Registered
10 Posts
Guys,

I have this recurring fault with my 2012 X3 which the BMW service centre cannot 'diagnose'.
Perhaps 50% of the time when I go to start the car I get a fault on the screen and the dash display that says, "Remote control not present or fault. Engine cannot be started. See owners manual".
When I go into the Check control menu on IDrive, there are no faults.
The fault clears after about 30 seconds but the car refuses to start unless I hold the key fob up against the steering column.

BMW checked the voltage in both fob batteries and conceded that one was a bit low and eventually replaced that under warranty. Yet the problem persists with both remotes.

Anyone else have this sort of issue and how was it resolved? I believe that the wireless receiver has poor sensitivity, probably bought on by a faulty module or bad joint at the antenna but since BMW can't find a thing wrong, they won't change any parts to fault find as without hard data it isn't a fault and the dealer will have to pay for parts.

Very poor form from BMW on this one as it has been happening for months and I have documented times and dates of the failures and photographed the fault condition on both displays which I have provided to BMW as evidence of the issue.

Worse still when I can't unlock the doors and have to use the emergency key to open the door and then hold the fob against the steering wheel.

Cheers,

Gerard
Do you solve your problem??

I'm having the same problem

Every time I open the door when the car engine is running, then the screen have eror as " Remote control not present or fault. Emgine cannot be stared. See owner'S handbook"

I had replace a Antenna Diversity but not solve this problem.

Please help me.

·
Registered
2018 340i
16 Posts
Does this happen in the same place or anywhere? The reason I ask is because I had this issue and noticed it only happened at Mt. Solidad where there were tons of antennas and satellite dishes. Apparently it would always mess with the signal from the key fob to the steering column. Whenever I go there, i have to hold the key up to the steering column to start.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

Every time I open the door when the car engine is running, then the screen have eror as " Remote control not present or fault. Emgine cannot be stared. See owner'S handbook"
Why do you think that this is a problem? It is normal. You enter the X3, you start the X3, and you exit the X3 with the key fob in your pocket. As soon as you do so, the X3 records a fault that even though the engine is running, the key fob is not present, and the engine cannot be re-started. When you re-enter your X3, with the key fob in your pocket, the previous fault which you created is cleared, but the message from the fault which you created still shows on the iDrive screen.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My key fob is still in car, the engine is running, i open and close the door, the error massage appear in the screen ,
Video it when it happens. I've started doing this to help the service techs see intermittent problems and give them some information to go on. And it documents the problem if it becomes serious later. Bring it on a thumb drive. And it draws interest. I've had three service advisers crowd around my tablet watching the video, swapping comments!

·
Registered
9 Posts

I'm having the same problem

I had replace a Antenna Diversity but not solve this problem.

Please help me.
Im also having same problem as you when engine is running and a passenger door is open then closed this message comes up on my m5 f10.

Any joy with getting it sorted ??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
Did anybody get to the bottom of this problem!?

Just to clear few things before someone asks:
Error appears randomly, but quite frequently, WHILE the key fob is in the car - almost always when some of the doors is open and then closed (ie when my wife or kids enter or exit).
I tested it with no phone present in the car at the time of error and it happens over and over again, thus not related to EM interference.
It happens in just about any location: city or forest, so no cell towers or power lines affecting it.
Simply it is a BMW bug that has to be sorted out ...

Electronics Technology Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
Did anybody get to the bottom of this problem!?

Just to clear few things before someone asks:
Error appears randomly, but quite frequently, WHILE the key fob is in the car - almost always when some of the doors is open and then closed (ie when my wife or kids enter or exit).
I tested it with no phone present in the car at the time of error and it happens over and over again, thus not related to EM interference.
It happens in just about any location: city or forest, so no cell towers or power lines affecting it.
Simply it is a BMW bug that has to be sorted out ...

View attachment 1015114
Hi did you get this issue rsolved?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi did you get this issue rsolved?
Yes, the issue went away AFTER I removed fuse splitter from one of the permanent fuses in the front fuse box.
Namely, I had installed a dashcam with hardwire voltage kit (a small device that is placed between permanent fuse and the dash cam that prevents battery voltage from dropping under set limit). It was connected to fuse # 36 or 37 if I remember correctly, and in reality it did not do its job as I had my battery flat couple of times....
Anyhow, once I removed the splitter/wire kit (because of the battery drain) and fitted original fuse back in place the issue disappeared!
I am not 100% sure that this was an issue but I did not change ANYTHING else in the meantime....
Talking about killing two birds with one stone 😃

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dear all. Did you solve it. Due I have the same issue with a bmw f30. And in the dealer said they have to change the fem module but i am not sure
View attachment 1046102
Hi José,
Please see my answer #12. Loose fuse could be one of many reasons for this error to show.
I would recommend that you make sure that ALL the fuses are in good working order. Check for loose fuses (especially those main ones - check your fuse box diagram). If you have option even test them using multimeter and replace faulty if any....
If it's not fuses than take it to a pro for troubleshooting :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi José,
Please see my answer #12. Loose fuse could be one of many reasons for this error to show.
I would recommend that you make sure that ALL the fuses are in good working order. Check for loose fuses (especially those main ones - check your fuse box diagram). If you have option even test them using multimeter and replace faulty if any....
If it's not fuses than take it to a pro for troubleshooting :)
Thanks so much I will review

1 - 15 of 15 Posts