BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 X5 remote key has been acting up for about a week. When I go to open my door in the morning by pressing the button , the doors will not open. If if press on the door handles to open the door nothing happens either. I have to physically put the key in the door to open it. I also have to to put the remote into the slot on the dashboard for the car to start. This doesnt happen all the time so I'm not sure if it is the remote key or something else in the car, any suggestions?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Battery?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,358 Posts
Batteries first.

Both keys have the same issue?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only have 1 key, havent ordered a second set yet . Am I mistaken but to charge the battery you have to have it in the dashboard slot while driving?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,315 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just checked, didn't realize there was a battery in the remote. I'll change it and see what happens.

·
Registered
624 Posts
If the CA battery is low, it should give you a low battery key warning in the dash.

On another note, I've left my CA keys in my golf bag before, closed the trunk, and locked myself out accidentally before. I tried to open the doors using the handle sensors, but it just wouldn't recognize the key was in the trunk. And this was even after replacing the battery a few months prior after I got that low battery key warning. /Shrug.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,315 Posts
There are specific applications intended to recognize a key inside the cabin. You might read to learn if your CA worked properly.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I think the CA key in the trunk is a specific scenario that the keys were designed for.

Lock the X5, open the trunk door with the CA key, and then put the CA key in the cargo area. Then try to close the trunk door. It go down a second, then it will flash and pop back up.

I've recreated the lockout scenario multiple times, and either there are some deadspots in the cargo area, or lining of some kind in the golf bag is blocking or reducing the CA frequency.

/Shrug.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I think the CA key in the trunk is a specific scenario that the keys were designed for.

Lock the X5, open the trunk door with the CA key, and then put the CA key in the cargo area. Then try to close the trunk door. It go down a second, then it will flash and pop back up.

I've recreated the lockout scenario multiple times, and either there are some deadspots in the cargo area, or lining of some kind in the golf bag is blocking or reducing the CA frequency.

/Shrug.
deadspot. Comfort access isn't 100% accurate. There are many incidents like yours that has occurred across the BMW range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts