BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 1996 E36 and I'd like to know if it ispossible to add remote locking to the current central locking? I'm wondering because I've been trying to find replacement key blanks from ebay and some have remote locking buttons.

·
I like pie.
3,743 Posts
Yes you can, you can either go to a junk yard and pull the unit out of an other E36, or you can get a universal set up for fairly cheap. I would not however buy an Ebay key blank, even if it's cheap you have to remember that you will also have to pay some one to cut it (which might require you to send the original off somewhere), and even after that you will still need to source an EWS II transponder chip (which is VIN specific) and can only be ordered from the dealer, so you're much better off to just go and pay the dealer $60 and get every thing taken care of.

·
Registered
12,835 Posts
United Auto Security makes some good remote kits. They specialize in BMWs. First thing is to check to see if your car is prewired for a security system. There'll be a black button(s) stuck into the carpet in the left hand side of your trunk with the pre-wires done in your car at the factory. If the security prewire button is there then the remote lock install is really easy. The UAS sytems come with two transponder key blanks that you'll need to get cut to match your key. You can send them to UAS to do it or some ACE Hardware stores have key centers that can do it. UAS will give you instructions on how to transfer the security system chip from your OEM keys to your new keys.
I'm assuming you're in Melbourne, Florida and not Melbourne, Australia :).

This is the system I have installed.

http://www.unitedautosecurity.com/P...G-IN_KEYLESS_ENTRY_W/2_FLIP_KEY_REMOTES/.aspx

Note: If you buy from their eBay store the prices are about 10% less than buying direct from the UAS home site.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts