BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2002 z3 3.0i's remote locking with the master key(s) is very tempermental. on occasion (at least once daily), it takes a number of button pushes to lock and/unlock the doors (as well as the courtesy lights). it does this with both keys (key batteries are good and car battery is fully charged. locks work fine with key manually). it never happens first thing in the morning (car cold in the garage) and happens the most when the temp is over 65 (though it may happen if the car itself is warm). what causes the problem to come and go is most associated with a drive of any duration: stop the car and the remote may or may not work. move the car a half a block and the problem may or may not still be there. i'm guessing that it is a bad connection somewhere at the receiver end.

has anyone out there had a similar problem and got it fixed? if so, what was done. remember this is a 2002 with stock remote locking and no alarm option.

thanks in advance.

dpz

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Just ran into this today

My 2002 coupe had the same issue come up today. Neither of my keys can lock/unlock the car via the buttons. I could not get it to work when I went to the garage this morning nor after my drive. I have a service appointment on Wednesday (Non-related problem) and will find out what is going on. I'm a bit upset...only 800 miles and I have this come up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
remote

andy

i've gotten several e-mails about this problem and i've been keeping a log to try and rule out certain possibilities. i think i've got it narrowed down. but, you never know. so, you're experience with the problem and the dealer will be very helpful.

i've got an appointment too for next week. in the meantime, this is what i've noticed:

mine is intermittent. it affects both keys and the car battery voltage is fine when the problem is there. moreover, the keys work manually to lock the doors. so, it's not the central locking system.

one e-mailer said that on these stock remote entry systems (which started in 2001), the reveciver electronics are in the interior rearview mirror (larger size and wiring boot unlike earlier models?). if this is the case, i'm guessing that it is either a problem in the receiver (switch out the mirrors) or in the wiring to the locking mechanism (my understanding is that this is under the dash and behind the glovebox). watch your mirror (carefully) and you'll notice that it does a fair amount of vibrating over bumpy roads and the like).

my problem does not occur when the car is cold at first morning startup in the garage. once the car is warm and if the outside temp is 60+, it may or may not happen (several button pushes to get either the courtesy light or locks to work)after a short drive (as little as a few yards can start or stop the problem). so, i'm betting that the motion of the car is affecting something that is loose in the receiver (mirror?) itself or at the wiring connection between the mirror and the central locking system.

let me know what you find out a.s.a.p.. like i said, i'm going in next monday (7/15) and i want to share as much information as possible before then.

btw, this problem was evident before i took delivery. the dealer said the car needed a battery charge and, after that, i didn't notice the problem for another 3 weeks (1000 miles). then it started again. my guess is that it was probably there all the time -- just intermittent and needing the right car motion and ambient temp to get it going.

right now i'm focusing on the mirror and trying the occasional jiggle to see if i can recreate the problem on demand. but, what i need is for someone to clearly indicate that, in fact the receiver is in the mirror (2001-02).

thanks for sharing. hope to hear from you soon.

dr z

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did either one of you guy's figure out the problem, because I have the same problem with my 2002 3.0i Z? Also, does anyone know if this would be covered under my CPO?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a 2002 Z3 2.5. The transmitter key has been a problem since I got the car. I've had the keys changed twice by BMW. No solution. Some suspect that it is another poor system design. The others are not well hidden either. It seems not to work in specific locations - like (but not exclusively) other communications equipment transmitter sites. The places it works for me in & won't work have not changed over several years leading me to that conclusion.

My guess is that nothing you or BMW will do will repair it.

I like the car a lot & have enjoyed it over several years, but I do not have a high opinion about BMW engineering being competitive with their advertising. This forum has many threads citing other flaws.

Still, if you like the car, you'll keep it for other reasons than the inconvenience of having to insert it into the driver's door to open & lock it in certain locations, or repairing welds which were poorly designed, etc.

Fred

·
Registered
441 Posts
Remote locking

It seems to me that it must be a problem with your receiver (in rear view mirror) if you've changed out two set of keys. I remember in an older post that there was some protocol
for resetting remote locking system. If someone knows the procedure maybe they can post it and it might help.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sorry, forgot to mention that the mirror was changed once. Didn't work either.

About a year or two ago, someone was trying to identify everyone who was having this problem with the hope that BMW would deal with it. From the results I see to date, it didn't work.

When the keys were replaced, BMW did the reprogramming for them so I never had to set them myself. Sorry.

Fred

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the input.

I guess I will just have to live with it.

I can say this though. The system works great in the winter and horrible in the summer. I almost wonder if temp. or the suns radiation has something to do with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same intermittent problem on my '02 roady. Temperature does not factor into my problem. It seems more related to where the car is at the time. I took it in to the dealer under warranty and they checked and found no problem. It works perfect sitting anywhere on their lot. They told me there may certain types of 'interference' in certain areas that could affect the remote's operation. While I question this theory, there are certain places where it fails every time, like my local Home Depot parking lot and my local bank, so there may be some truth in that. If I take the key fob and hold it right up to the windshield outside the rear view mirror it will almost always work. I have learned to live with it....

·
Registered
318 Posts
I do believe that interference can cause the problem & I have had the same results with proximity to the mirror, but even that doesn't work all the time. I personally think it's another case of BMW inferior electrical design of the transmitter/receiver set, as we've seen in other areas of the car.

I live with it because I love driving the car, but I'd like it to be as good as the one that comes with my wife's Honda Accord!! Her key will open the car from way over 150 ft.

:mad:
Fred

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a '99 Z3 Roady and had a very intermitent remote locking/unlocking problem. You guys have a mirror mounted transmitter so it is definitely different than mine but my problem turned out to be the sensor behind the radio. It seemed to be a temperature sensistive problem but in reality it had something to do with the PROBE that activates the alarm swithc behind the radio. As BMW2001 has said try unplugging that sensor and see what happens...It definitely fixed my problem and a few others that have experienced this trouble.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been reading about the problem of locking/unlocking door/trunk with the remote and have not seen an answer. My 1999 323i works sporadically so I never lock the car. If anyone has an answer please post. BMW tells me the receiver mechanism behind the glove compartment has to be replaced for $700 but I still wonder if that is the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts