Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I like pie.
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The remote lock/ unlock on my 2001 325xit stopped working. I have two keys which I rotate every few months in order to keep their batteries fresh and both abruptly stopped working which leads me to suspect something in the car.

Some background information, car is a 2001 325xit, manual transmission, slick top, sports package.
No alarm.
It spent the first 16 years of it's life in New England so corrosion is very likely.
On the last drive before the remote locking stopped working the rear hatch glass unlatched it's self several times.
Central locking/ unlocking via the console button works like clockwork.
I replaced the hatch glass latch solenoid/ wiper assembly after the remote lock failure with no change.
I've attemped re pairing both keys several times with no change.

At this point my prime suspect is the antenna amplifier or wiring between it and the GM5.

Does any body have any other ideas or helpful tips?

Thanks.

·
Kostspieliger Spaß Quandt
879 Posts
Check the antenna in the tail gate at the top behind the spoiler. It is notorious for corrosion in there. You might be able to rescue it. Be prepared - they are expensive, even used due to the relative rarity and it's unique to the Touring.

Edit: This image is from an e53 but the e46t antenna is located very similar. PIA to change.

·
I like pie.
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The local pick a part has two tourings and I just grabbed the antenna amplifier from one, if that doesn't help I'll get the rest of it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Kostspieliger Spaß Quandt
879 Posts
The local pick a part has two tourings and I just grabbed the antenna amplifier from one, if that doesn't help I'll get the rest of it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Bimmerfest mobile app
That's a helluva grab. :roundel: - I'd be heading back there and stripping out everything I could carry that was unique tot he touring. Have you seen the used price for these?

·
I like pie.
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a helluva grab. :roundel: - I'd be heading back there and stripping out everything I could carry that was unique tot he touring. Have you seen the used price for these?
Also picked up a complete factory first aid kit for $9. these two both have tan, non sport interiors in not great shape, but I'll probably go back for the back glass from one.

The thing that really kills me is they're both Orientblau, and another yard had two more Orientblau wagons last year. Maryland drivers must really hate those cars and I've been unsuccessfully trying to find one for years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts