BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a diesel engine 2012 X5. I wanted to get a remote starter before the winter started. Was wondering if anyone has ever installed one in their vechicle and if so any recommendtions. Will it effect my my cars performance in any way?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Go to flashlogic.com. It's a plug & play device so it does not involve any splicing of wires.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,321 Posts
Impressed with flashlogic.

Be very suspect of a shop that says they can get a conventional remote start to work....hack city

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,291 Posts
impressed with flashlogic.

Be very suspect of a shop that says they can get a conventional remote start to work....hack city
+1. BMW loves inexpensive technical tricks. If remote start was easy then BMW would sell it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,321 Posts
+1. BMW loves inexpensive technical tricks. If remote start was easy then BMW would sell it.
Although I believe BMW doesnt offer this due to environmental and liability concerns

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Can't be done.
Yes It can. I used to this professionally. If there is a plug and play way to go that's what I would go with. If not go to a good well know stereo shop. I repeat , I say again I repeat DO NOT GO TO BEST BUY OR ANY PLACE LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think Im going to order the FLRSBM1. Is it easy to install, can I do it myself
I had mine professionally done as you need an installer account to download the software. I've only heard of one person doing it on his own & that was only because he works in electronics by trade. It shouldn't take no more than 2 - 3 hours to install. If they tell you more, RUN. I see you're in NY so if you can't find someone in your area, I can put you in contact with my installer. He's a mobile installer & will come to you. I'm not sure if he will come to NY, but you can always meet up somewhere in NJ.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,321 Posts
I would not buy a product that requires "professional" installation.

Car, house, etc.

·
Nuclear engineer
18,291 Posts
I would not buy a product that requires "professional" installation.

Car, house, etc.
What is the difference between this professional and non-professional.

We fought our bosses over 'professional' but did not have a national standards setting organization.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,321 Posts
What is the difference between this professional and non-professional.

We fought our bosses over 'professional' but did not have a national standards setting organization.
Of course it is a weak defintion, USUALLY involving commercial exploitation of the consumer.

It may be blatant- as in 'we dont sell parts, only functional product fully installed by our professionals'...or it can be "the warranty is void if you dont have it installed by locally licensed contractor or a professional." In the latter the definition of the 'professional' is not defined. You want to get a definition, you need to sue them.

I am fine if a company choses to do that, to be up front around requireing contractor or commercial install, but read on for a very sneaky business practice:

I've been involved with a 'thing' around Jandy/Polaris/Zodiac... quietly in late 2012 they have elimiated ANY warranty coverage for any product that they say requires a contractor if a homeowner installs it. They also refuse to provide any warranty 'support' to a homeowner- they insist their warranty states "the pool 'maintainer' must be a professional' and therefore that phrase they interpeet to mean any warranty service must be done by a contractor or one of their authorized dealers. At your expense. Good news is that I discovered this before buying anything- changed my selections to Hayward products. Interesting that this got a lot of fanfare in the 'pool and spa news' trade journals, that it would help 'fight internet sales' and 'increase profits for their brick and motar vndors'...oh, with the veneer that "we are doing this to protect consumers."

Even if the state of california allows a homeowner to install it, and even if I were to pull a permit and get it inspected, they will deny any warranty coverage.

rant off..

I do far far better installs that professionals I have seen...especially when you look under the covers or panels..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for the late response. Im going to order the FLRSBM1 and I would appreciate if you did put me in contact with your installer. I have some other things I would like for him to install in my car also.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sorry for the late response. Im going to order the FLRSBM1 and I would appreciate if you did put me in contact with your installer. I have some other things I would like for him to install in my car also.
PM sent.

·
Nuclear engineer
18,291 Posts
If I had this installed on my 2012 X5D, would it "negate" the terms of my CPO/extended warranty?
How would the glow plugs be turned on and for how long?

Do you know how many times your GP are lit before you push to START? Do you know how many glow plugs ON phases there are from you drinking your coffee on a winter's morning until they stop coming on for the rest of the drive?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts