BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'18 BMW X1, '14 ML350, '07 C280
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Any one removed the electric servo motor for eccentric shaft (on the valve cover) on N52?
There are two security torx screws right under the motor; there is absolutely no room for the torx bit to sit on the screw, let alone attaching the ratchet. How do I remove those security torx screws UNDER the motor? I have the security torx set.

I am trying to remove that motor because the gasket around it is leaking tiny bit of oil. I want to take care of it before it becomes bigger problem. Valve cover gasket was replaced by the dealer while the car was under the maintenance program and they didn't replace this gasket around the eccentric motor...

I am not referring to the screws you see in the picture. The screws I am referring to are not seen in the picture because the screws are UNDER the motor. TIS says "remove screws under the motor". :)

Attachments

·
U of Dawgs
2,438 Posts
You must be talking about the valvetronic motor bracket. If you pull those coils from both sides, you still have no access using a torx screwdriver?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nube, yes, I've removed both of the coils on both sides of that motor... no space for torx bit to attach. I'd say about quarter of an inch space between the top of the screw and bottom of the motor.

I didn't know that it's called valvetronic motor.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The screw they are referring to is actually under the end of the motor.Alos before removing the 2 torx screws you have to release the tension with the allen screw that is below the electricial connector, I believe it is a 4mm allen screw, by turning it clockwise a few turns. After that you can remove the screws and then turn the allen screw counterclockwise and the motor should come out.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I have but its been a long time. I work on every car line out there so it is hard for me to remember specifics on each and every thing but I do remember that the motor had to be put into service position before removing it.

·
U of Dawgs
2,438 Posts
I will take a look at [that screw under that motor] tomorrow with a mirror and flashlight. There is hardly any room under that motor, and they put a screw under it. :-(

Have you removed this motor?
I'm just trying to recollect here, but I thought the bracket fastener (one only) is a torx bolt going horizontally... it is not the vertical bracket fasteners that you seem to be keen on removing. You are right, it is tight but you can remove it. Make sure you release the tension (clockwise until you feel resistance) from the end of the motor. Once you remove the motor holddown bolts (2) and the bracket bolt (1), you have to unscrew the valvetronic motor fastener counter-clockwise while sliding the motor out.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nube, l1tech, I was able to see the horizontal screw you were referring to. There is very little room for the torx socket and extension to fit in there - I will have to remove the plastic rail that is in the way. I will tackle this next week, it's too cold today and tomorrow. Thanks to both of you for your feedback.

Attachments

·
U of Dawgs
2,438 Posts
Yep... that's it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.