BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 SETA that just had its fuel tank swapped out due to too much rust. Everything is done except that I cannot get the second fuel sender (behind the driver's seat) to come out. I dont want to pull too hard since it might break but I do not see how it should be removed.
I feel dumb because Im sure its probably super simple but I just cant figure out how to remove it. There is a notch at the bottom of the fuel sender that wont allow it to pass through the opening.
Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just did this yesterday. Simply Disconnect the connector. Then put a straaight screwdriver aginst the notch on the rim of the sender and hit the end of the screwdriver with your palm. Hit it counter clockwise, should pop right off.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've already loosened the sender. The issue is that when I left the sender there appears to be a notch at the end (lowest part of the sender) that hits the opening.

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
haha yeah. i think anstead used it like 6 months ago. might have been someone else. thought id bust it out :p

just undo the four nuts on the top of the sender and then pull it straight up and out. if you want to remove the pump then disconnect the tubes going onto it and then rotate it (cant remember if its clock wise or anti-, logic would say anti-... and then lift it out after it clicks out of place. you need to tilt it once its almost out to get it through the hole

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha yeah. i think anstead used it like 6 months ago. might have been someone else. thought id bust it out :p

just undo the four nuts on the top of the sender and then pull it straight up and out. if you want to remove the pump then disconnect the tubes going onto it and then rotate it (cant remember if its clock wise or anti-, logic would say anti-... and then lift it out after it clicks out of place. you need to tilt it once its almost out to get it through the hole
You are talking about the fuel sender on the passanger side. Im referring to the one behind the driver.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here is a pic as you can see there is nothing the fuel sender can get stuck on
Thanks for the pic. However, the lip Im talking about is only a 1/4"-1/2" in length so it might be on the other side of the fuel sender in the pic. :mad:
I can definitely see the green plastic on the end of the sender as seen in the pic and when I try to tilt and lift the green plastic starts separating from the sender so I stop. Maybe I'll take a pic later on tonight to show you all what Im dealing with.

·
I get in and rock wit it!
301 Posts
i really dont see anything hard about it,.....un bolt all 4 or 5 nuts ,disconnect the plug...lift it wit ur fingers

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i really dont see anything hard about it,.....un bolt all 4 or 5 nuts ,disconnect the plug...lift it wit ur fingers
:rofl: Its not the one with the 4 bolts, its the one behind the drivers seat for late model LHD cars. (Thanks Ethrty! lol)

·
Registered
248 Posts
pic is the one behind driver on LHD. I didnt have any trouble with it hanging up. Have done it a couple times. Msybe yours is just too rusted.

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
OP i think you are using the wrong words. the fuel sender is on the right hand side of the car behind the passenger in your case. whatever is under the flap on the left hand side of the car wont be the fuel sender. the fuel sender is long, has 4 bolts on the top and a plug, and bolts onto the top of the intank fuel pump. please post some pictures with what you mean.

(for the record, the left hand side of the car is your left if you are looking at the rear end of the car, the right is the right. just checking we are on same terms here no offence intended if you take it)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts