BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up.
To get to the #8 coil (drivers side, closest to firewall) you need to pull the cabin air housing, remove the fuel line from the clip and remove the battery jumpers hold down in order to have enough room to pull the coil.
I also removed the air box in order to get to the #5 easier.
Whew.:eeps::eeps::eeps:
Now I'm ready for the new coils and plugs.:thumbup:

·
Michael
2,363 Posts
spark plug replacement

Hi, I did say that changing the back plugs is a real challenge, so a little pleased you had a challenge otherwise I might have thought it was just me. Probably one of the hardest ever??? Pleased you managed it, am sure you will notice a change in responsiveness .......

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi, I did say that changing the back plugs is a real challenge, so a little pleased you had a challenge otherwise I might have thought it was just me. Probably one of the hardest ever???
Yup, you were right. A good set of various extensions helped with the plug also.
Hardest??? That's a toss up...The Jeep has a Hemi and the back ones took a toll on my knuckles. I'm not bleeding....yet.:p

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did that ever give the sport button a new meaning.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I finished installing the new coils and plugs and it runs GREAT!
At 54,000 miles, the plugs looked just a little worn and had a little bit of a "hot" look to them.

I did a little spitired run this morning and everything about the engine is better.
- Idle
- Driveability
- Shifting
- Pickup

And I always had a slight hesitation when starting from a dead stop, that is now gone. So I recommend to anyone who has around this mileage and any engine symptoms, change the coils and plugs. It was right at $300.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Sounds like you had a full day Taz :thumbup: but in the end it worked out well. Aren't these plugs suppose to last up to 100K miles? I believe they would but due to wear you will loose some of that spirited response, which is why most replace them at around the half way point. I am around 36K miles on mine so not ready for it yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts