BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem was told by my mechanic.
But what is a safe pump to use in the best procedure so that I can examine the tank for contaminants?

·
Achtung! Hochspannung!
2018 i3, 2020 Arcimoto FUV
1,516 Posts
Well, if you are worried about particulate contamination the best method is to remove the fuel pump sending unit. That allows you to suction out the fuel and vacuum out any debris if necessary(use an air operated vacuum, not an electric one!)

If you think it is just diesel in the tank then you can pump it out using the in tank pump also.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
The Napa down here in Saint Augustine says it's OK to use the small electric pump
what small electric pump? the suction jet pump in the tank or the fuel pump or something else?

Key thing is that the electric motor of the pump shouldn't make any spark.

I would just disconnect the intake pipe of the fuel filter and use the main fuel pump. And then remove it and check the fuel pickup filter for any debris.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Also be aware that fuel vapor can be ignited by the spark of an electric switch too. Best thing would be to do it outside and connect the hoses to the tank in a way that they are somewhat sealed.

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,487 Posts
215 on Body
45k on new motor
You're in the wrong forum. However, this is not a job I would do myself because of the fire hazard - at least using anything external electric near a gas tank. I'd worry about static too. I'd let a competent Indy do it. Unless you want to just siphon out as much as you can manually, get it down as far as you can and refill with known good gas. That may not be perfect but additional fill ups will improve things.

How did your mechanic conclude it was contaminated gas by the way? Did he test it?

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,212 Posts

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,212 Posts
Mod team moved the thread to E38 subforum, was posted in G12. His comment was not edited to reflect this change.

No worries, all good :)
In that case..***** that was the wrong forum, and I just thought maybe weinschela had a slip and thought 1995 was an E32.

So that raises a forum question. A lot of threads get moved in from the member introductions forum and typically tim330i adds a post saying so, short of that is there a way to tell that a thread has been moved into a forum from somewhere else? If so, can you tell from the app?

Edit: Ok, how does the word "WOW" get censored?

·
Achtung! Hochspannung!
2018 i3, 2020 Arcimoto FUV
1,516 Posts
In that case..***** that was the wrong forum, and I just thought maybe weinschela had a slip and thought 1995 was an E32.

So that raises a forum question. A lot of threads get moved in from the member introductions forum and typically tim330i adds a post saying so, short of that is there a way to tell that a thread has been moved into a forum from somewhere else? If so, can you tell from the app?

Edit: Ok, how does the word "WOW" get censored?
WOW does not, however WOW with a period in front of it does. No idea why though...

Usually we post when we move these threads around, not sure if I moved this one or if another mod did. I have been flying around the West coast on business this week, so entirely possible I moved it on the mobile app and forgot to comment on the move :)

As for seeing if a thread has been moved, I am not sure of a way for anyone but mods or the original poster to see if the thread was moved.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts