BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
chgolatin2 said:
Would like to remove the tinted windows that my car has, any recommendations as to how to do it? Btw, it is not bmw tints just custom.

Thanks!
You will need to remove door panels first before you can remove the tinted windows. The rear window is more a problem, you need professional help with that.

Basically removing tinted windows is the same as removing non-tinted windows. ;)

Good luck, and post pictures if you have does so.

·
aka Turd Ferguson
1,406 Posts
Sad thing is you need pro help. I would not try it myself. It is a hassle but removing tint is not an easy task.

Call around to a couple tint shops and get a quote.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was at Walmart and saw a "Tint Remover" bottle in the car care section, I don't have any experience using it, but just in case you want to try.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have never done it but was advised when I looked into removing the front window tint that it was done by thoroughly wetting it with an ammonia solution and then carefully peeling it off with a razor.

Fortunately I was able to get a private garage to pass me on inspection and didn't have to actually remove it.

Steve D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Its not bad, but do get a steamer and get some simple green and soak the window. Buy one of those nice German Rowenta Steamers if you want and keep it later to iron clothes. Makes the job real real real easy on the rear window…..did I mention really easy! You can't use a razor blade on the rear window. Now what I did was press the iron to the film for about three-five seconds and then pull away a few millimeters and press the steam button full throttle. I had the film pre-soaked with simple green. Pick a corner and she peeled away. Just look carefully that you are not taking the defrost lines away. After that it should fly.

One window tinter told me that I would have to possibly get a new rear window because of the defroster lines. So I went on the net and found some tips. Do have some finger nails to start ripping the film.
Hope this helps
Rick

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
MatWiz said:
You will need to remove door panels first before you can remove the tinted windows. The rear window is more a problem, you need professional help with that.

Basically removing tinted windows is the same as removing non-tinted windows.

You don't need to remove the door panels. I watched an installer remove my front passenger side by pulling it off slowly and spraying a solution of something and then scraping the window clean with a razor and solution.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz

Basically removing tinted windows is the same as removing non-tinted windows.

You don't need to remove the door panels. I watched an installer remove my front passenger side by pulling it off slowly and spraying a solution of something and then scraping the window clean with a razor and solution.
Ahem... :eeps: It was a joke... But I kind of glad nobody got it. Its kind of silly... :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
RakNaks said:
Its not bad, but do get a steamer and get some simple green and soak the window.
Rick
I would recommend using the trash bag method listed on the link above. Either way will work but I wouldn't want to take a chance at burning the seats with an iron. Plus the rear deck on an E39 is pretty tight and then throw in the headrests it gets even worse.

Like I said either way will work, just do what you feel comfortable with. For me, it's easier to just cut a trash bag, soak the window, set the car in the sun for an hour an peel off the tint. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hahahah you guys crack me up. :bigpimp: Okay place a nice bed spread over the seats & deck, the headrest do come out. :p While it was in the dead of winter....I did not have any sun to "baked the glass" :rolleyes: You can buy or rent a steamer instead. :) I just had my iron steamer handy and I was careful. Wear a longsleeve sweat shirt. The steam permeates the paper well. The paper peels off like a wrapper off a chocalte bar yummmy! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Ancient thread.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.