BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back, I read a feature article in either BMW Magazine or Bimmer about a most impressive tuner for the E46 330ci made by Rennsport. This Rennsport modification to the stock 330ci turned said 330ci into a virtual E46 M3 killer without sacrificing too much of the smooth ride quality that 330s have over M3s. This Rennsport-tuned 330ci was dubbed the "330cii". If memory serves, this 330cii bested the M3 in every performance category. It had more horsepower and torque than the M3. I was so taken by this Rennsport mod that I wrote down the Rennsport website (www.renn-sport.net) plugged in that article for future reference.

Well, I recently tried going to that website only to find it gone.

Does anyone know what happened to it? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with this product? Can it be done to ANY 330 or only to stock 330s?

Thanks.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,280 Posts
Funny....this is the same dream we`ve *all* been having.... (in computer terms, I believe it`s known as "vaporware")

Regards,
Bob

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Website

I have heard they ran into some problems with their feature intake systems. Other rumors had it that they now have become wholesalers instead of retailers and as such you'll find their products through other vendors. :dunno: There seems to be a lot of misinformation about this company now.

My personal opinion is that they were pretty flakey. People raised what I thought were valid questions regarding their products and their answers were never truly satisfyingly complete. That's why I never bought anything from them.

Go to this place and read some more:
www.e46fanatics.com
Read as much as you can and form your own impression. Skip the mindless supporters as well as the stubborn naysayers - hopefully you can extract some good info.

And if at the end of the day you get frustrated, but still think you have some 10 grand to drop into your car, give an established company like AA or Dinan a call and they'll fix you an "M3 killer".

adc
03 330 ZHP

·
Registered
96 Posts
I thought they were now called Technik Engineering. (http://www.technikpower.com/) If you go into the Forums link, you'll still see the old remnants of the Renn-Sport web site.

I think the guy running Technik Engineering is a member of this board as well. (Technik?)

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
bmRXer: It's actually the 330ii in Imola Red. The car is still alive and kicking. The first prototype was a black car and believe it or not, I sat in that one. You will find more info by visiting www.technikpower.com.

adc: Perhaps I should offer a different view about Technik Engineering. Everyone is entitled to their own views but until you have actually dealt with them on a personal basis, I'd recommend that you keep the views to yourself. What were being posted are often miscommunications and misunderstandings. I'd suggest that you read more about what they have been going through, especially the transition from Rennsport to TE and who's actually involved in the business etc. Yes, they do run business differently. But from the years I have known them, never once did they perform a half-arse job on any installation. My very own car is an on-going joint project with TE and it's still going strong at the tracks. Yes, they have a brick and mortar shop. Yes they have a brand new Dynojet. Yes they are red-blooded human beings just like you and me. Yes, they have one of the best techs I have known and still working with. Make an appt, go visit them before you make a judgement.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
That's perhaps a little too much to ask for Paddle.Shift...Everyone knows every anecdotal evidence posted on any internet forum must be taken as the absolute truth, especially if it's posted on Fanatics. :D

I assume the tech you're talking about is Zolti? Great guy.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Mr Paddle.Shift[b said:
adc:[/b] Perhaps I should offer a different view about Technik Engineering. Everyone is entitled to their own views but until you have actually dealt with them on a personal basis, I'd recommend that you keep the views to yourself. What were being posted are often miscommunications and misunderstandings. I'd suggest that you read more about what they have been going through, especially the transition from Rennsport to TE and who's actually involved in the business etc. Yes, they do run business differently. But from the years I have known them, never once did they perform a half-arse job on any installation. My very own car is an on-going joint project with TE and it's still going strong at the tracks. Yes, they have a brick and mortar shop. Yes they have a brand new Dynojet. Yes they are red-blooded human beings just like you and me. Yes, they have one of the best techs I have known and still working with. Make an appt, go visit them before you make a judgement.
I'm sorry I will not keep my views to myself just to please you. I'm answering a question by the OP about Rennsport, and in my post:
  • I related two versions of "internet facts" about why the company is now silent and specified they may be both rumors.
  • I sent the guy to another forum where I believe he will get a lot of info. I warned him to avoid the extreme views on the issue.
  • I explained that I was never impressed with some of their technical explanations on intake theory. I stand by my view.
  • I directed him to alternate companies with excellent reputations.

I do not necessarily doubt your version of the story. I just think that a professional way to deal with this would be to have an official explanation on their old website. (Maybe they do and I missed it...)

What specifically in my post do you object to? :dunno: My decision to not do business with them???

adc
03 330 ZHP

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you BOTH adc and paddle_shift for those great perspectives. Fast_bob, I wasn't dreaming it. I remember reading the article; I think it was in the 11/04 issue of either Performance BMW or BMW Car magazines.

·
I shift my own gears!
299 Posts
The big buzz about RennSport (to me) was when they were marketing the GruppeM intake. I went to the Technik website and see no mention of it. I wonder who sells the GruppeM now? I love the sound of mine but never felt a power increase.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm pretty sure Technik still sells the GruppeM as part of their power packages. If you call i'm sure they can sell you the GruppeM intake alone.

edsmax said:
The big buzz about RennSport (to me) was when they were marketing the GruppeM intake. I went to the Technik website and see no mention of it. I wonder who sells the GruppeM now? I love the sound of mine but never felt a power increase.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Mr Paddle.Shift said:
bmRXer: It's actually the 330ii in Imola Red. The car is still alive and kicking. The first prototype was a black car and believe it or not, I sat in that one. You will find more info by visiting www.technikpower.com.

adc: Perhaps I should offer a different view about Technik Engineering. Everyone is entitled to their own views but until you have actually dealt with them on a personal basis, I'd recommend that you keep the views to yourself. What were being posted are often miscommunications and misunderstandings.
Ya know, adc's post was actually pretty balanced, and seems a lot less biased than yours. It certainly isn't overtly hostile to the company in question. I'm leaning towards TE for a supercharger kit for my car, and using the same resources he mentioned (a seach on e46fanatics) ia what lead me to them. Your post was more disquieting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts