BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm new to forums and this is my first post.

I have a 2005 645ic and am totally frustrated with the number of recent costly unscheduled repairs. I’ve spent over $8k on a new radiator, recurring coolant leaks, faulty sensors and ruptured vent valves.

The srvc mgr at the dealership said 645s are problematic, my issues are common, and that he can’t promise that they won’t continue. He then suggested I talk with the sales mgr about purchasing another car – an extremely disappointing response. I’ve also called BMW’s customer relations line, but didn’t offer any additional insight or assistance.

My car has been in the repair shop 3 times since mid-Nov yet tonight, on my way home from out of town, my “engine malfunction” and “increased emission” indicator lights came on and my car is running really rough yet again. Plz provide any insight you may have.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Unless your car is under warranty, don't take it to the dealership for service. Research your area for a trusty indy.
As far was the check light, you can invest in a plug in diagn. That will tell u what's wrong. Then I would try to replace or call for quotes from indy shops. Good luck.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Our cars are definately not a take it to the dealer and fix it type. There are too many stories of things being replaced that didn't need to. My car had the engine wire harness replaced before I bought it when the problem was a bad thermostat (which causes an increased emmisions).
I use Bavarian Technic diagnostic tool. In the year I have had my 2005, I could have spent $8k at the dealer but my repair costs were around $600 for new thermostat, battery, coils and plugs.
Do yourself a favor and get the tool, pull the codes yourself and post the issue here. You will save a ton of money and most repairs are not that hard to do.
Good luck. These are great cars when they run correctly.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
As is well documented on this board, having a 6 out of warranty can be costly if you don't have an independent mechanic or can do the work yourself. Having the work done at a dealer no matter what brand of car you own is your most expensive option.

That is a tough question to answer, some people have had no problems while others have been killed with expensive failures such as yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Only a few of the issues have been handled at the dealer. I do have a trusty mechanic, but perhaps I need to find another one.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
If you want post what repairs you have had done and what they cost. If they are pretty common you will get feedback on what they should be. If your indie charged you similar to what others have seen then no need to shop!

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
As is well documented on this board, having a 6 out of warranty can be costly if you don't have an independent mechanic or can do the work yourself. Having the work done at a dealer no matter what brand of car you own is your most expensive option.

That is a tough question to answer, some people have had no problems while others have been killed with expensive failures such as yourself.
+1...the 6 is a very technical and complex vehicle with lots of integrated systems. That, plus the fact that it also is a BMW performance car makes for the probability of a high cost of ownership. Even routine matters like fuel, oil, and tyres can outpace similar costs in other vehicles. In addition, performance parts generally wear more quickly...not to mention the fact that they cost more. I've seen a lot of posts here from people who have purchased pre-owned 6 Series cars and are expressing alarm or dismay regarding the maintenance for them. Having owned three, I can tell you that you've already experienced the only bargain you'll have with this vehicle. If you enter this relationship with that in mind, everything else will be fine. The 6 is a wonderful machine and purchasing pre-owned saves, literally, thousands of dollars; however, purchasers would be well served to place some of that savings into maintenance and vehicle warranty plans.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Well said all the way around. This one sentence should be made a sticky!!!
What some folks tend to forget is that even though they are getting a "bargain" at used prices they tend to forget that the car new was over $80K. Sure the cost goes down due to being an older car but it still require maintenance as if it was a $80K car. That is one of the reasons why a lot of members here insist on having some sort of warranty to help with the cost of ownership. Use the knowledge of the members here to help you out when it comes to diagnosing the problems because there is a wealth of knowledge here.

·
Super Moderator
8,735 Posts
If you can not work on your car, you must have a warranty plan. People see what you drive, & tend to take advantage of that. Their thought is, if you own a BMW you can pay what it takes to repair it. Repairs are not that much different than other makes, but techs tend to replace parts that are not needed. There are 3 people that have to make money when your car needs repair. These are the SA, the mechanic, & the dealership! So far I have been able to fix any problem that the dealer could fix. Using & learning the BMW software, or the Bavarian Technic diagnostic tool, can save you a lot of money.

Good Luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts