BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Searched a bit but couldn't locate a thread. I'm familiar with Haynes manuals, and smart enough to fill in the blanks they leave out when it comes to chevys and hondas. My bimmer experience shows me a bit more attention to detail is needed. I've read about Bentley manuals and was looking for some feedback.

Here is an example of what I mean...I am aware of bleeding off air in coolant system, and haynes pointed me in the right direction (my e36), but it never mentioned slightly lifting the front to get bleed port to the highest point for air to get out. I found that out via overheating and google:tsk:. Bentley good at this type of thing, or should I just be googling prior to even routine maintenance?

I hear Bentley has great wiring diagrams too.

Thanks, and if there's a thread I missed just point me there.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,097 Posts
These days, you`re better off just looking for DIY videos on YouTube....lots of good stuff on there. "The 50s Kid" is quite well-respected around the Forums.... :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Right, those DIY-videos are more effective for getting job done.

I have manuals for both my cars, but i rarely actually look at them nowadays.

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
If you like a manual, Bentley is way to go. I have several.
That being said, if you can find a good YouTube video, it’s easier to follow. 50skid is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Oh, just as note, experience of e36 will help you some. Even when e46 is newer, you will still find most parts in same place and they look similar like in e36.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Watched a 50s Kid video. Great resource I can tell. Edited well and stays clear and on track.
I’ll probably get a Bentley manual anyway. Just for reference, wire diagrams and torque specs easily on hand. Google and YouTube are great but there is a bit of nostalgia to a shop manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
447 Posts
There is so much available as previously mentioned, and when I need to figure something out I go to google.

But I really really enjoy reading through my Chiltons manual when I'm bored. You will learn random tid bits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts