BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am starting to rebuild a flooded BMW i8. The relays on the BDC are damaged so I decided to replace the BDC.
I am having a hard time programming the new BDC from bmwtechinfo.com. enet cable works just fine but apparently enet cable can not be used for programming! Is there a low cost J2534 pass-thru which I can use to program the BDC? I have tried a vxnano passthru. BMW passthru does see VX but cannot detect the car.

· Achtung! Hochspannung!
2018 i3, 2020 Arcimoto FUV
1,770 Posts
Moved to Programming/Coding, the guys here will have more experience with the equipment needed to program this car. Should be the same case as an F15, G12, etc. Maybe even all the F cars, since they all use a gateway module with the ethernet connection.

· Premium Member
47,759 Posts
...but apparently enet cable can not be used for programming!...
That is incorrect. ENET Cable can be used for Programming.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a new module ordered through VIN.
I am using ISTAOSS-4.08.12 from bmwtechinfo.com. For ISTA there are two options ENET (which works) and passthru, but ISTA/P does not give me any option and only uses passthru.
Is there any way of forcing ISTA/P to use ENET? At this point using ISTA and ENET I can only see BDC.

· Premium Member
47,759 Posts
This is a new module ordered through VIN.
I am using ISTAOSS-4.08.12 from bmwtechinfo.com. For ISTA there are two options ENET (which works) and passthru, but ISTA/P does not give me any option and only uses passthru.
Is there any way of forcing ISTA/P to use ENET? At this point using ISTA and ENET I can only see BDC.
I don't use ISTA/P myself, so I don't know. You can flash it with E-Sys and ENET Cable though.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for the replay shawnsheridan. E-sys seems to detect the car. I found this in the forum "Flashing ECU's with E-sys [GUIDE]". Is this going to be the same for I8 (except selecting I001)? It's a very strange process!
I guess I will be doing a single flash, because I can only see the BDC now. Right? My psdzdata says it's from ISTA-P 62.4.001 .
I am still leaning towards using ISTA/P. That process seems to be much more clear.

· Premium Member
47,759 Posts
Thank you so much for the replay shawnsheridan. E-sys seems to detect the car. I found this in the forum "Flashing ECU's with E-sys [GUIDE]". Is this going to be the same for I8 (except selecting I001)? It's a very strange process!
I guess I will be doing a single flash, because I can only see the BDC now. Right? My psdzdata says it's from ISTA-P 62.4.001 .
I am still leaning towards using ISTA/P. That process seems to be much more clear.
No, you still use "Complete Flash" for Calculation Strategy, but when you execute Flash TAL, you select only the ECU's you want to flash, in this case BDC_BODY. The Flashing Guide is same for flashing all ECU with E-Sys, so it is applicable to all F/ I/ G Series cars. Latest PSdZData is 63.1.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, you still use "Complete Flash" for Calculation Strategy, but when you execute Flash TAL, you select only the ECU's you want to flash, in this case BDC_BODY. The Flashing Guide is same for flashing all ECU with E-Sys, so it is applicable to all F/ I/ G Series cars. Latest PSdZData is 63.1.
I just tried it and read FA fails! It says "read FA failed. possibly there is no FA" Read SVT works. It sees BDC_GW and BDC_BODY.

· Premium Member
47,759 Posts
I just tried it and read FA fails! It says "read FA failed. possibly there is no FA" Read SVT works. It sees BDC_GW and BDC_BODY.
Are you connected via VIN and not Gateway URL?

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I am using the URL Gateway, but I just tried the VIN one and got the same result. The complete error message is "Read FA failed! Possibly there is no FA stored in the VCM. [C060]"
Thank you for your help.

· Premium Member
47,759 Posts
No, I am using the URL Gateway, but I just tried the VIN one and got the same result. The complete error message is "Read FA failed! Possibly there is no FA stored in the VCM. [C060]"
Thank you for your help.
This is a new Virgin BDC BODY. There is no FA Stored in it. Replacing Gateway Module is not so easy. You need to write FA to VCM first I presume. You should be able to restore from Backup Partner in E-Sys VCM module.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a new Virgin BDC BODY. There is no FA Stored in it. Replacing Gateway Module is not so easy. You need to write FA to VCM first I presume. You should be able to restore from Backup Partner in E-Sys VCM module.
I probably can't do that. After I close the first error message, there is a second one (I didn't think it's relevant, that's why I didn't share it, sorry!). It says "Read FA from the backup partner failed. Possibly there is no FA stored in Backup Partner or there is no connection to the backup Partner. [C096]
Based on the manual it seems ISTA/P should be able to do this task. I am trying to find an ICOM A. If that fails, I should be able to boot the old BDC, get the FA out of it and write it to the new one. The old one is a 61-35-9-383-702 but the new one is a 61-35-9-869-876. Do you think that can cause any problem?
Thanks

· Premium Member
47,759 Posts
I probably can't do that. After I close the first error message, there is a second one (I didn't think it's relevant, that's why I didn't share it, sorry!). It says "Read FA from the backup partner failed. Possibly there is no FA stored in Backup Partner or there is no connection to the backup Partner. [C096]
Based on the manual it seems ISTA/P should be able to do this task. I am trying to find an ICOM A. If that fails, I should be able to boot the old BDC, get the FA out of it and write it to the new one. The old one is a 61-35-9-383-702 but the new one is a 61-35-9-869-876. Do you think that can cause any problem?
Thanks
I have no idea on the different part numbers. Good luck with it though.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I failed miserably on both approaches!!
1:
The ISTA/P could see the BDC using a BMW ICOM A. It downloaded the firmwares for I12 from the mothership. But refused to program the BDC because the Terminal 15N showed zero voltage! (This is a chicken an egg problem! 15N turns on a successful ignition. With a new BDC you can not have a successful ignition ) Also, the car didn't want to stay on so I had to keep pushing start stop button to keep it on. I finally took a break and after that ISTA/P doesn't see the car anymore!! ISTA does see the car put can't communicate with BDC properly. I think I have some error codes in BDC which makes it turn off very quickly. Is there a way to reset the BDC?
What is the proper procedure for replacing a BDC? There is not much in the repair manual!

2:
I bought a "Test Platform Key for BMW FEM/BDC". Its cable lets me power up the old BDC on a bench. After a power on, the Ethernet stays on for a very short period of time. I managed to read FA in E-sys but can't read SVT (The FA looks fine). I think it just turns off in the middle of it.

I really appreciate any suggestion.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I made some progress. The ICOM needed a firmware update and it talks to the car now. I managed to read FA FP, I-Steps, and SVT Target from the old BDC and write them to the new BDC with a ENET cable (The VIN was already written). ISTA/P now talks to the car and wants to program BDC, but it says it can not turn the Terminal 15 on, so it will not program BDC. Despite this message it keeps going but it does not execute the programming steps.
When I trigger the Terminal 15 relay form the connector ( which goes to the BDC ) manually, it does click and there seems to be no problem there (but the BDC does not do this in process at all).
The car still wants to turn off, if I don't keep pressing start/stop every two minutes it shuts off everything (including the ICOM).
I really appreciate some help. Thanks.

Attachments

· Achtung! Hochspannung!
2018 i3, 2020 Arcimoto FUV
1,770 Posts
I think I made some progress. The ICOM needed a firmware update and it talks to the car now. I managed to read FA FP, I-Steps, and SVT Target from the old BDC and write them to the new BDC with a ENET cable (The VIN was already written). ISTA/P now talks to the car and wants to program BDC, but it says it can not turn the Terminal 15 on, so it will not program BDC. Despite this message it keeps going but it does not execute the programming steps.
When I trigger the Terminal 15 relay form the connector ( which goes to the BDC ) manually, it does click and there seems to be no problem there (but the BDC does not do this in process at all).
The car still wants to turn off, if I don't keep pressing start/stop every two minutes it shuts off everything (including the ICOM).
I really appreciate some help. Thanks.
Try fastening the drivers seatbelt and turn on the headlights. That usually keeps the car awake during programming, but if the BDC can't register those inputs yet then it won't help.

· Registered
574 Posts
today I replaced a BDC on a new X1,

did the job with ISTA+ and programming enabled.

1. Read out vehicle, only had communication to BDC and ZGM
2. Imported the vehicle FA
3 programmed the ZGM and BDC with ISTA
4 after programming there was communication with all the other modules again
5 complete coding of modules
6 initializations

Even before the new BDC was programmed, I was able to turn on KL.15 without issues.
You should be able to complete the job with ISTA/P or with esys once the right FA is loaded.
maybe there is another problem on your car, that you cant turn on KL.15.
is this working with the "original" BDC.

tomorrow have another BDC replacement on a X1 which failed so far. there are some issues in the release notes with replacing the BDC's on certain cars.
so will see how that goes tomorrow, maybe get another clue that could help you

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.