BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blower Motor or Blower Motor Resistor?? How do you know which one needs replacing. 2001 330ci Coupe....:eeps:

help...just purchased this car...The ac was blowing great yesterday..Now there is no air from the heater or the ac blowing..:banghead:

We hear the ac kick in...but no forced air out of the vents..:cry:

oh yeah..found out where the blower motor resistor is located, how about the ac blower motor....where is that?:dunno::dunno::eeps:

Been searching the web for a diagraham (<<spelling?) of where it could be, but no luck.

I'M hot & bothered in 109 degree weather!!!:mad::bawling::yikes:

help help help[email protected]

Attachments

·
Rambling Wreck
2,073 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on the new car! :)

The blower is located in the firewall. The resistor (also known as the final stage unit) is a common failure item, and it's easier to replace than the blower.

If you have a voltmeter, you should be able to do some diagnostics at the plug for the final stage unit before you go buying parts. The plug will receive a variable "control voltage" from the climate control panel. Jump two of the pins on the plug (refer to your Bentley manual) to test the blower. You can also find out if the blower relay (the least expensive part of the system) is bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So that is the Blower Motor Resistor!? Remember, I'm a woman, searching the web 4 this solution....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome, and congrats on the new car! :)

The blower is located in the firewall. The resistor (also known as the final stage unit) is a common failure item, and it's easier to replace than the blower.

If you have a voltmeter, you should be able to do some diagnostics at the plug for the final stage unit before you go buying parts. The plug will receive a variable "control voltage" from the climate control panel. Jump two of the pins on the plug (refer to your Bentley manual) to test the blower. You can also find out if the blower relay (the least expensive part of the system) is bad.
First & foremost! Thank you so much for your help!

omg..Bentley manual? Is that that the owners manual for the 330ci?
Voltage, jump two pins?? Lions, tigers & bears OH NO!
Sounds like a job for superman!
I'll have to relay this information to my hubby... grrrr he will understand this better than me! I hope!
Maybe we just need to take it to a repair man!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Final Stage Unit

I can say that it is the final stage.Very common
I'd have to second this. I replaced the final stage unit for a 2001 325i in March. It was the solution to a number of things including erratic A/C and blower motor functions. Search "final stage unit" on this site

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'm Back.... finally got my hubby to replace the 'FSR'...guess what. That did not resolve the problem. Back to square 1.

Seem like some wires or something are crossed. Cold air blows out the left hand vent, but warm are blows from the middle two vents....crazy huh?

Does anybody have a clue?
[email protected]

Thanks

IT's again running 103 degree's. OF course we waited for it to get hot to figure this thing out! lol

Well, really, it's my son's car. He lives at home but is never home, so it's kinda hard to work on the car or get it to a shop ....

·
Registered
146 Posts
On my center two vents there is a wheel in between. and you can adjust it from hot to cold (red to blue on the wheel) regardless of what the temp is set to ...I'd try moving it to blue and see if that's it first, it took me a while to realize that when i got the car.

hope that's it,
koonjo1

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,979 Posts
Well I'm Back.... finally got my hubby to replace the 'FSR'...guess what. That did not resolve the problem. Back to square 1.

Seem like some wires or something are crossed. Cold air blows out the left hand vent, but warm are blows from the middle two vents....crazy huh?

Does anybody have a clue?
[email protected]

Thanks

IT's again running 103 degree's. OF course we waited for it to get hot to figure this thing out! lol

Well, really, it's my son's car. He lives at home but is never home, so it's kinda hard to work on the car or get it to a shop ....
Not crazy. #1. Did you check the fuse panel before replacing the resistor?

#2. The drivers vent is cold because the car is designed to cool the driver in the event there isnt enough refrigerant in your system to keep the whole car cool, sweet of BMW isnt it? Anyway, that is a sign of a larger air problem. Could be low on r-134a (refrigerant), could be a bad compressor, could be a fan problem. Bottom line is this, if you or your husband aren't good with a pressure gauge and diagnosis you need a mechanic to look at it. Sorry to say, but it is just too complex for most. I just replaced my a/c compressor last night and it isn't that hard, but the troubleshooting took some knowledge of these things. Internet helps, but you have to be able to get the hands dirty and figure it out too.

If you are up to it you can buy a pressure gauge ($15) from any auto parts store and connect it to the low side a/c port (on the left as you look at the motor toward the back) and see what you get. You should have about 30-40psi with the air running full blast. Slightly higher if the outside temps are above 90 degrees. Start there and report back. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:bow:
On my center two vents there is a wheel in between. and you can adjust it from hot to cold (red to blue on the wheel) regardless of what the temp is set to ...I'd try moving it to blue and see if that's it first, it took me a while to realize that when i got the car.

hope that's it,
koonjo1
Yep, I read the owners manual and figured that one out. :thumbup: But it still blows hot air when the knobs are turned with all the blue dots showing. :thumbdwn:

Gonna take it to the AC man to at least check it out.:mad:

Thanks for taking time to respond.:thumbup::bow:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks..for stopping by to respond. I think the AC man needs to check the ac out for us.

The fuse was fine!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the hot passanger side problem. The ac was low on gas Charged it that cleared the problem. The car knows when its low & transfers air to the driver side

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AC Problems Continued...after replacing FSR

:dunno:Hi Everyone!

Purchased a 2001 330ci for my son. NOOO, we are not making the payments, he is.

Hot air blows out the middle vents, even when you turn them to the blue dots, but colder air blows thru the 'drivers' vent. Also, sometimes the fan won't even come on!
(may be ANOTHER PROBLEM):dunno:

We replaced the FSR (final stage resistor) as suggested by several people. That didn't resolve the issue.

We have carried it to a mechanic.

He says the freon is low. But there are a couple of other problems but he doesn't have the machine to 'pinpoint' just what is wrong.
(Live in an area that doesn't have enough people that work on BMW's)

The symptoms are: When turning on the 'auto climate control' and setting it to 50ish, hot air blows, BUT if you turn the temp up to 90, then cold air blows. :confused::confused::confused: << and sometimes the fan won't even come on.

He says it could be 1 or 2 things. The 'actuator or either the 'climate control panel' He explained that the 'actuators' tell which vents to open for which air
(cold or hot)

He's gonna load up the freon, and put some dye in it, cause he seems to think we have a leak. $145.00:thumbup:

Then he says to come back when the air starts blowing hot again, and he will test it for free to see where the leak is.(if there is one):confused:

He said that he could not repair the 'climate control panel'.

I've found a web site, that talks about the 'climate control panel' circuits needing to be reset. They charge $49.00 to repair the unit.

http://www.bmw-repair.com/

I think I am going to send the panel off, and see if that fixes the problem.

Then the next step would be the actuators.

Any suggestions?

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,979 Posts
:dunno:Hi Everyone!

Purchased a 2001 330ci for my son. NOOO, we are not making the payments, he is.

Hot air blows out the middle vents, even when you turn them to the blue dots, but colder air blows thru the 'drivers' vent. Also, sometimes the fan won't even come on!
(may be ANOTHER PROBLEM):dunno:

We replaced the FSR (final stage resistor) as suggested by several people. That didn't resolve the issue.

We have carried it to a mechanic.

He says the freon is low. But there are a couple of other problems but he doesn't have the machine to 'pinpoint' just what is wrong.
(Live in an area that doesn't have enough people that work on BMW's)

The symptoms are: When turning on the 'auto climate control' and setting it to 50ish, hot air blows, BUT if you turn the temp up to 90, then cold air blows. :confused::confused::confused: << and sometimes the fan won't even come on.

He says it could be 1 or 2 things. The 'actuator or either the 'climate control panel' He explained that the 'actuators' tell which vents to open for which air
(cold or hot)

He's gonna load up the freon, and put some dye in it, cause he seems to think we have a leak. $145.00:thumbup:

Then he says to come back when the air starts blowing hot again, and he will test it for free to see where the leak is.(if there is one):confused:

He said that he could not repair the 'climate control panel'.

I've found a web site, that talks about the 'climate control panel' circuits needing to be reset. They charge $49.00 to repair the unit.

http://www.bmw-repair.com/

I think I am going to send the panel off, and see if that fixes the problem.

Then the next step would be the actuators.

Any suggestions?
Freon (r-134a to be exact) costs $6.50 a can, a BMW only holds 2.5 cans and all you needed was a $5 hose to put it in the car. You got burned there.

As far as the repair of the unit, that website says e36 (assume the do the e46?)? I'd probably buy one from a junkyard on ebay (found 3 in 1 minute for $89, $95 and $137 respectively)and try that to see if it fixes the issue vs. shipping yours off and paying someone to repair it. Who did the FSU for you? Are you sure you did it right? (no offense intended)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, couldn't tell you if it was put in correct or not? Son & hubby did it.

no offense taken...They are "jacks of all trades, and master of none" lol

I talked with the guy about repairing the 'climate control unit". He said, that if it was faulty, and we put the FSR in, that the 'climate unit' would blow the FSR...mmm He said if I decide to send the unit, they would program it, NOT to blow the FSR.. another mmm

He was upfront and said he couldn't say if it was the unit or not. He did say it would be $69.00 because it was a 330ci e46?

I think I'll take your suggestion, and check out ebay..for the climate control unit.

My Hubby did put some freon in the car, but ,,,again... I dont' know if he even knew what the hell he was doing ! lolol
So that's why I wanted to carry it to someone that I knew, that was suppose to know what they were doing....

Thanks so much for the reply.... What the heck, we will just drive it with the temp set on 90 degrees, so the ac will cool ...hahahaha:rofl:

Freon (r-134a to be exact) costs $6.50 a can, a BMW only holds 2.5 cans and all you needed was a $5 hose to put it in the car. You got burned there.

As far as the repair of the unit, that website says e36 (assume the do the e46?)? I'd probably buy one from a junkyard on ebay (found 3 in 1 minute for $89, $95 and $137 respectively)and try that to see if it fixes the issue vs. shipping yours off and paying someone to repair it. Who did the FSU for you? Are you sure you did it right? (no offense intended)

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,979 Posts
Well, couldn't tell you if it was put in correct or not? Son & hubby did it.

no offense taken...They are "jacks of all trades, and master of none" lol

I talked with the guy about repairing the 'climate control unit". He said, that if it was faulty, and we put the FSR in, that the 'climate unit' would blow the FSR...mmm He said if I decide to send the unit, they would program it, NOT to blow the FSR.. another mmm

He was upfront and said he couldn't say if it was the unit or not. He did say it would be $69.00 because it was a 330ci e46?

I think I'll take your suggestion, and check out ebay..for the climate control unit.

My Hubby did put some freon in the car, but ,,,again... I dont' know if he even knew what the hell he was doing ! lolol
So that's why I wanted to carry it to someone that I knew, that was suppose to know what they were doing....

Thanks so much for the reply.... What the heck, we will just drive it with the temp set on 90 degrees, so the ac will cool ...hahahaha:rofl:
I had a friend with a 528i and the FSU is the same unit. In his case the FSU was bad causing the fuse for the blower motor to pop (thereby killing the blower). I don't think you can replace the FSU "wrong", but just thought I'd check. Good news, you can't put freon (again r-134a) in the car "wrong". The only thing you can do is overfill it and that causes more problems. Sounds like the ebay unit (again saw three by typing "e46 a/c control" in the search box) is the next option. I mean, $100 is cheap and if it's not the problem, resell it and get your $$ back. I have some good BMW junkyards around, saves some $$ if you can find one near you.

Two things I'd like to know...1. What does a pressure gauge read on the low side when the car is at idle and the a/c is set to 59 degrees and max cold? 2. What does it read when it is set to 90 degrees? Chances are the pressure is changing, it will tell you more about the problem. Gauge is cheap, takes 10 seconds to hook up and read. Keep in mind the lower the outside temp the lower the gauge temp, it's best to do it in the heat of the day IMO.

Sincerely,

Jack of all trades.....master of none (ask my wife!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll call the mechanic tomorrow and ask him to give me those readings.

It will be tomorrow evening before I'll have that answer posted.:bigpimp: maorinotkq2.jpg

Thanks again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts