BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just looking for others opinions.
My '05 has 54000 miles on it. New battery and CTek control indicator. My daily trips are short, 3-10 miles which I know is not great for the charging system in these cars. My Ctek shows red after about 5 days.
Yesterday while waiting at a drive through it started to have a rough idle in gear. I have a 1/4 tank of 93 octane gas with Techron cleaner in it.
The Ctek showed red. I'm charging it up today to see if it goes away.
I'm getting ready for a long road trip in a 9 days and wondering if I should put a new alternator in before I go. Also, anyone know the manufacturer of the alternator?
Also, I saw on another post but no reply, Does Midas really do fuel and air induction cleaning on BMW's? I'm sure if I call they will say yes. But come on, really?
Thanks,
Wes

·
Super Moderator
9,949 Posts
A long road trip could clean out the motor, & expose a charging problem if you think you have one. Put in 2 bottles of Techron before starting your trip. At highway speeds, it should remove any trash in the injectors & carbon from the pistons.

I think the alternator is around 500.00. I would wait until I new for sure, before changing it. If you have a jump box, take it along for insurance. If not , they can be bought pretty cheap at Harbor freight.

Good Luck

·
Registered
277 Posts
Do not go to dealer for alternator unless you are under warranty.

I had my alternator replaced by dealer about a month ago. They kept my car for 11 days. On day 10 I called and asked what the heck was going on and I was told by my SA that he was gonna have the work done that day and I could pick it up the next day. So they kept my car for 10 days before they even cracked the hood open. Then they hit me with $300 diagnosis charge even though I told them I need the alternator replaced. And $1500 for a remanufactured alternator and labor. Never again. If your not under warranty don't go to dealer.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just did some running around, about 30 miles and the Ctek is showing green again.
So I don't think it's the alternator, but if it were, Ebay has them, OEM Valeo
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
I would do the work myself.
Now, I have to figure out what happened to the car. On my little run about, I got the usual "low battery" indications. "Engine malfunction and increased emissions".
Time to break out the ODB2.

·
Nerdy G
908 Posts
Do not go to dealer for alternator unless you are under warranty.

I had my alternator replaced by dealer about a month ago. They kept my car for 11 days. On day 10 I called and asked what the heck was going on and I was told by my SA that he was gonna have the work done that day and I could pick it up the next day. So they kept my car for 10 days before they even cracked the hood open. Then they hit me with $300 diagnosis charge even though I told them I need the alternator replaced. And $1500 for a remanufactured alternator and labor. Never again. If your not under warranty don't go to dealer.
Which dealer hope it wasnt Bayside they are terrible

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
That is a good price on that eBay alternator, especially if it's a "real" new one and not a remanufactured. They don't even ask for a core charge which is typically about $100.

I usually pay about $500 installed for a Bosch remanufactured alternator when they go. You have to be careful though, there are many places selling remanufactured (change bearings, brushes, rectifier) when they are actually just repaired units.

I would take the long way home for the next 5 days and make sure your battery is not running down like is typically does on your normal short trips. And I would bring the CTEK on the trip with you.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An update for those following this thread...
My problem turned out to be a bad coil on #3. You can follow the discussion Here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.