BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, its about 8 years now since I brought the Autocraft H8-AGM battery for my 08 X5 (shop recoded it for me), its been great! Now looking to replace it with a new AGM battery, but no more Autocraft batteries! I was hoping to drop in the exact battery and reset the battery (via scanner tool Innova 5410), but now stuck wondering if I need to completely code in a new battery. Any thoughts on an exact replacement that won't require a battery recode?

Curious when recoding the Battery, what does it ask for, e.g. Amp Hours? (asking because wondering if dropping the same spec battery would work)

Autozone has the Duralast Platinum vs Advance Auto has DieHard Platinum, maybe one of these can be the exact specs without recode?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
You need to register the battery when new so the IBS knows how to charge it. Not resetting the battery charge history will definitely affect the battery lifespan.

Scanner such as foxwell nt510 will do this procedure. I buy my AGM from sam's club.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, yeah planning to reset the battery once I get it with the Innova 5410 (research in buying one with the battery). The only concern I have is specs on the AutoCraft H8-AGM battery (original Platinum) vs buying DieHard H8-AGM or the DuraLast H8-AGM (both Platinum). I will not be able to recode it myself (without additional tools) and hoping just dropping in one of those batteries will be ok without recoding for the X5.

BTW, when I replace the battery I wasn't planning on doing any memory savers, read some bad things happening, was originally going to hook up the float charger (Black&Decker BC12B) but read it may just error our without battery connection!

Forgot to list my specs, it's 2008 X5 e70 3.0, barely drove the SAV, it has 56k miles. Been good on/off with the most expensive part (outside of other warranty work with rebuild of panoramic roof and recalls) was a water pump replacement by local shop.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Check the AH on your current AGM batter & try to get the same.. you could go a little higher without recoding but don't go lower. Bmw goes by Ah...ie..90 or 92 or 95 etc not CCA. YOU CAN BUY AGMs from rockauto too & they ship to ur home pretty cheap

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep the Ah is what I thought I need to look for (one of the items in recode), however I couldn't find the Ah for my current 2014 AutoCraft Platinum H8-AGM 900CCA (saw a 2018 youtube video of same battery type saying 95 Ah / 160 cap sticker, but not taking the chance of being wrong without some more validation). The last resort is buy the new battery and when I take out the old one, hopefully there is a sticker it with specs to compare with the new one.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,501 Posts
Cold Charging Amps is meaningless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Opened up the back andI confirmed that the 2014 Autocraft H8-AGM battery specs is 95aH with 160 RC, so from the information I gather, I can replace it with another H8-AGM, like the DieHard H8-AGM (seems to be the same specs without recode, but just register as new battery). I will probably do this in a few weeks (car hasn't complained about discharge recently).

Question, anyone use a floater for memory saver? I did read pros/cons and that there were some issues with folks using a savor tool. Just hate to see some flare ups after changing out the battery (old car). If someone has use a memory savor, what worked best for the BMW (again 08 e70), tool?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! Ah unless I quickly just glanced, it requires a payment for access for TIS. I typically wouldn't mind, but rather like to see what folks already know and help post here. I'm keeping the steps/notes that I will be taking for the e70 aftermarket battery replacement, including tools and costs to post here for others to use - my contribution as a noob for this great forum :).

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I'm curious, why hook a separate battery to the car when installing a new one. BMW doesn't suggest that in their procedures.
It's just something people do to avoid having to reprogram all the things kept alive by the battery.

Eg: clock, trip odometer, trip computer, radio stations etc.

People commonly would hook up a charger but they can supply very dirty power because they are expecting a battery to smooth out the voltage.

I usually just deal with resetting everything.

·
Registered
2011 BMW X5 35i
194 Posts
I would go to Sam's Club and buy their Duracell battery (made in the USA with a great warranty). Better selection and policy than Interstate at Costco. I have used Duracell with many of my BMWs and MB with zero issues.

If you don't have a high-end scanner to register the battery or the knowhow on installation, try and find a BatteriesPlus store. They sell Duracell AGM batteries and will install (I still think for free) and also register the battery for you. I used them once before when I was desperate with a dying BMW battery and was a great experience. Find a coupon on their website.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, its about 8 years now since I brought the Autocraft H8-AGM battery for my 08 X5 (shop recoded it for me), its been great! Now looking to replace it with a new AGM battery, but no more Autocraft batteries! I was hoping to drop in the exact battery and reset the battery (via scanner tool Innova 5410), but now stuck wondering if I need to completely code in a new battery. Any thoughts on an exact replacement that won't require a battery recode?

Curious when recoding the Battery, what does it ask for, e.g. Amp Hours? (asking because wondering if dropping the same spec battery would work)

Autozone has the Duralast Platinum vs Advance Auto has DieHard Platinum, maybe one of these can be the exact specs without recode?
None, you'll have to get it coded or your accessories will drain that battery.

·
Addicted Since '72 2002ti
70 Posts
I would go to Sam's Club and buy their Duracell battery (made in the USA with a great warranty). Better selection and policy than Interstate at Costco. I have used Duracell with many of my BMWs and MB with zero issues....
I have good experience with the DieHard brand from Advanced Auto and was sold exclusively for years at Sears. Coupons are on their website.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts