BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a total n00b with cars but wanted to run by what the mechanic told me to make sure everything makes sense.

I took my car (318ic w/ ~150k milage) in for inspection, and the mechanic told me that my front lower ball joints have play, that they are replaced with lower control arms, and that the right front strut is leaking. In case it is useful, the readings that he gave were ball joints LL .000, RL .060, drums LF .840/.803, RR .699/.685, pads LF 8/32, RR 10/32.

He says that it will cost $1745 to replace both struts and control arms using aftermarket parts.

That's a lot of money for a car this old - so a) do you guys think this is a reasonable price for the replacements, and b) do you think it's worth it? What are the consequences if I don't fix it now?

Appreciate any advice any of you may have!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arg, sorry for the post in the wrong forum!

Ok, so it sounds like it is definitely something that needs to be replaced. As I know next to nothing about cars, I'm hesitant to do it myself. Does anyone know if that is a reasonable price for the parts/work?

·
Migrated to the X5 SAV
899 Posts
That's more than double what it should be. I'm guessing you went to the BMW dealership?

Find a good "Indy" in your area.

You can either order the parts & have them do the labor, or have them do everything.
Note: It is a good DIY project, not for a beginner though, unless you have a good friend with the right tools.

There are all kinds of write ups for the lower control arm, bushings, replacement, etc..
:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts