BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My indy mechanic says I need to replace the CCV oil separator...pretty straight forward DIY...so I plan to do the work myself..

Question is if my car is garage kept and rarely outside during the winter months why would the CCV oil separator go bad...?...and is it really bad or can I clean the CCV oil separator and corresponding hoses instead of replacing it..?

located Southern Indiana not all that cold of winters when compared to farther north.

2002 530i 68800 miles

notes below are from the attached PDF...

SITUATION
Certain areas of the US experience extremely cold climate conditions during the winter months. A small number of
vehicles in the above-listed Series have experienced problems ranging from leaking or broken valve covers to complete
engine failure.

CAUSE
Moisture accumulating in the engine oil separator; hose to oil dipstick guide tube; or the orifice in the dipstick guide
tube can freeze. When this occurs, depending on the position of the internal valve, it may either cause high crankcase
pressures (stuck closed) resulting in valve cover leakage and/or breakage, or cause an oil hydro-lock condition (stuck
open), which could result in engine damage.

CORRECTION
Replace the crankcase vent valve, crankcase vent hoses, and dipstick guide tube.

Attachments

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
- CCV FAILS: crankcase ventilation valve diaphragm tears, freezes (1), &/or clogs (1), necessitating CCV replacement (M54,M54,M54) (M52,M52) (M52TU) (M62,M62) ('99 528i) ('98 528i); raising pressures, often causing the OFH oil filter housing to leak (1) (2) (3) (4); frequently blowing the VCG valve cover gasket (1); and sometimes the head gasket (1) (2); often causing vacuum leaks (1) (2) (3).

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Replace it. As stated by others, heat embrittlement of the plastic hoses makes removal and reinstallation problemmatic. And cleaning inside a CCV is difficult due to the diaphram. Much easier to replace the CCV (and even that DIY is NOT easy, relatively speaking). Failures of CCV (i.e. diaphram) occur without clogging. However, the clogging of the CCV is most common and due largely to driving habits (driving short distances with a cold engine that allows the oil vapors to condense). Happens to everyone. Use the M54 DIY procedure.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
the clogging of the CCV is most common and due largely to driving habits (driving short distances with a cold engine that allows the oil vapors to condense). Happens to everyone. .
I'd say that's my issue...the very short trips with a cold engine....My plan had always been to replace the CCV and hoses....but after seeing these pics I can tell there is NO way to clean this thing and it's obvious that replacement is the only option...

Also...my Indy stated....."pulled the dipstick from it's tube and a large vacuum release could be heard... initially followed by a lot of gurgling..."...

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Also...my Indy stated....."pulled the dipstick from it's tube and a large vacuum release could be heard... initially followed by a lot of gurgling..."...
LOL never a good sign. At almost 160k I really need to get this done LOL.

·
Registered
15,279 Posts
If people really want to see what a blocked CCV is like, this video is from a Volvo 850, when the PCV is blocked, crankcase pressure builds up and smoke comes out of the dipstick.

PS: Fudman is right, replacing the CCV is not that easy but feasible if you read the DIY by Fudman.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts