BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car has 50k miles. I want to replace known weak points on the car, as I have a rather long commute to work, and would gladly spend 1k if it means cutting down the chance of getting stranded and needing a tow.

My question is, should I replace the radiator and expansion tank, or rad/tank/thermostat/water pump/belts all at once? (inde. shop doing work)

Any advice is appreciated.

·
wrencher
150 Posts
I would if you could for peace of mind.

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
the radiator removal leaves a LOT of space to remove the rest of it, and it will make your indie a lot happier than if he has to use the limited space when the radiator is in there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have another question. How exactly do I find out EVERY part I need to order for the job? Will reading through the service manual provide part numbers and such?

·
wrencher
150 Posts

·
Registered
15,460 Posts
I wrote this post for 528i, 540i is similar

DeddMoneyDave said:
Car has 50k miles. I want to replace known weak points on the car, as I have a rather long commute to work, and would gladly spend 1k if it means cutting down the chance of getting stranded and needing a tow.

My question is, should I replace the radiator and expansion tank, or rad/tank/thermostat/water pump/belts all at once? (inde. shop doing work)

Any advice is appreciated.
http://bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/199986

I did my 528i at 89K, your 540i cooling system components seem to have a shorter life, so at 50K miles, it is not unreasonable to change them.

DIY and save lots of money.

HTH

cn
98 528i

·
I wanna DRIVE!
236 Posts
Here's what I did.

I replaced my radiator/waterpump/tstat all the hoses (and the belts while I was at it) for precisely the same reasons you cited. Check this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.