BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When changing to lowering springs (1.5" drop) I have always thought it was necessary to change the shocks so that the shocks operate at the new lower working height.

I was talking to a 1996 911 Turbo owner who changed his springs to the standard used in Europe (1.5" lower) and I was surprised that he found the part number for the shocks were the same.

Is it really necessary to change the shocks when lowering a car?

Just out of curisoty does anyone know the stock part numbers for a Euro 2000 Z3M Coupe springs and shocks so we can compare to North American part numbers?

Thanks

·
Learning to drive...
631 Posts
Most of the time you have to. It is all in the ability of the shocks to handle a given spring length. Stock BMW shocks are not very good at that.

Example at hand, the M3 I purchased this winter came with lowering springs that were put about 8000 miles before I got it. I have not seen more blown shocks than those I replaced on it. They were compressing/extending under their own weight.

Florian

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
It is not the length that is typically the problem, it is the spring rate (stiffness). Stiffer springs require more dampening.

If you go REALLY short, then you will need shorter body shocks. The P car shocks may have the dampening required, or the Euro springs may not be much stiffer.

·
Learning to drive...
631 Posts
Rates are important I agree. But the length of the springs dictates the length of the shock shaft. If a shock is forced to move the shaft out of its specs then that can damage it. And as you said rates are important because you subject the shocks to forces they were not designed for.

Florian

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
As long as you don't get so short that you bottom the shock, there is no problem. And you need need to go pretty short to do that.

And sometimes US and Euro do get different suspension setups.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.