Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help figuring out how to replace the bulb that is out on the tailgate (circled in the image). I took out the adaptive brake light assembly thinking that was the bulb but it doesn't appear to be. I appreciate the help!

2013 E70 35D

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. I don't see any mention of a replacement bulb and I haven't found it on newtis.info. I don't suppose you know a part number for that?

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,215 Posts
Pretty sure that's gonna cross reference to common bulb 1156 you can get at any auto parts store. Buy the Long Life version.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty sure that's gonna cross reference to common bulb 1156 you can get at any auto parts store. Buy the Long Life version.
Thank you again. I'll have to take a look as I thought there was 2 bulbs in that housing but everything I have seen doesn't agree with that assessment. I took out the luggage lights and I could have sworn #4 wasn't lit on the right side when the lights were on making me think there was another bulb. Picture shows that the tail lamp is lit on right side. #4 bulb on left doesn't look blown either.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,215 Posts
I'm thinking that piece has two lights. One is an integrated LED and one is a bulb. have a look at the connector for the light. How many pins does it have? I think it has three. One is ground and then the other two are for 2 lights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Integrated....great! There is a 3 position connector and a 1 position connector that plugs into #9. The single might be to tell the car the bulb (#4) is out. Haven't tested that, but removing #9 completely with the bulb triggers a warning light about about it.

I didn't want to remove the lens assembly, but I might not have a choice.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,215 Posts
On the warning light. For the incandescent bulbs, like the tail lights, on the car, the car actually tests the bulb every so often. Basically the car can tell if the bulb is burned out (or shorted) based on the electrical response. The bulb test is not detectable to the naked eye. BTW, you may have seen some folks complaining about bulbs flickering when they swapped in LED bulbs in place of a bulb that was originally an incandescent bulb. This is because the LED bulb responds differently electrically and the car cannot detect a burned out bulb.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You Will need a new #9. It is rusted because #11 has failed and letting in moisture. Both side on my went out and has the same scenario on both side.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You Will need a new #9. It is rusted because #11 has failed and letting in moisture. Both side on my went out and has the same scenario on both side.
I did notice that #9 was rusty when I took it out. I cleaned it up and metered the connections and I think it is OK for now. But yes, both sides might have to be replaced at some point. Hoping the new seal will help going forward.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the warning light. For the incandescent bulbs, like the tail lights, on the car, the car actually tests the bulb every so often. Basically the car can tell if the bulb is burned out (or shorted) based on the electrical response. The bulb test is not detectable to the naked eye. BTW, you may have seen some folks complaining about bulbs flickering when they swapped in LED bulbs in place of a bulb that was originally an incandescent bulb. This is because the LED bulb responds differently electrically and the car cannot detect a burned out bulb.
Thanks for this. If the bulb is bad, I'll just replace with the same type.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,215 Posts
FYI....the OE parts are also available aftermarket from the original supplier to BMW: Magneti Marelli. They are an original supplier. I had to replace the wife's outboard tail lights on her X5. Exact same part as the originals. The Magneti Marelli parts were way less money than genuine BMW.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did notice that #9 was rusty when I took it out. I cleaned it up and metered the connections and I think it is OK for now. But yes, both sides might have to be replaced at some point. Hoping the new seal will help going forward.
I just wanted to give an update incase others are interested. I spent a little more time checking out the tail light and found that there are 2 LEDs on a circuit board that light up the tail light. The bulb (#4) is for the adaptive braking. The circuit board is powered by a white connector, which I thought was for something else, that plugs into #9. One of the pins on #9 rusted completely off and therefore I lost power to the circuit board. I will have to order new #9s as mentioned above as well as replacement seals for the tail lights. I haven't found the white connector on newtis but I'm going to attempt to clean up what I have and reuse it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
How the heck does that happen on a 2013? I swapped to the LCI lights in 2012 on my MY '09, and they have been fine

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,786 Posts
FYI....the OE parts are also available aftermarket from the original supplier to BMW: Magneti Marelli. They are an original supplier. I had to replace the wife's outboard tail lights on her X5. Exact same part as the originals. The Magneti Marelli parts were way less money than genuine BMW.
This is the DEFINTION of OEM parts....

The OE manufacturer makes the part available under their name, the OEM

(Great info, BTW.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts