·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please tell me this is a high estimate from the dealer.:cry:

·
Registered
990 Posts
I would look for qualified Indy nears you and get second estimates. This way you will get idea. Also compare to DIY
That's how I valve it when I get dealer.
Example my cooling lines. $1600 that was $1300 labor. I don't have time I had never worked around turbo. I thought maybe special tools. Etc
So for that $$ I get it fixed fast and I have 2600 mile trip in two weeks. Now I can drive less worried.
I thought for upper gasket engine had to be dropped?

·
Registered
136 Posts
get a second opinion, but i had my upper seal replaced at about 50K miles and the lower seal at 60K miles. luckily, both were covered under my CPO. I had the car 2 years and put 31k miles on it. In 2 years, about $17k in repairs were performed under the CPO warranty. Dealer service manager told me that the customer care would cost about $8K, valve stems and lower oil seal about $6K, soft close about $3K. She also told me that you do not want to drive these cars without a warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,060 Posts
Soft close can be DIY for 500. My Indy did the Upper and Lower Oil pan gaskets for about 2200 (Warranty covered it though). The Lower is an easy DIY, the upper does require supporting the engine.

These are not Toyotas... these were 100k cars, like last week... lol. I don't understand what people's expectations are when they buy a car like this, but expect to only have 65 dollar oil changes as the only maintenance or repair issues.

That said, the fact that CCP work is now covered for 10/120k miles (or something like that), relieves some of the bigger issues we'll have to deal with (Vacuum Pump, Injectors, etc).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are not Toyotas... these were 100k cars, like last week... lol. I don't understand what people's expectations are when they buy a car like this, but expect to only have 65 dollar oil changes as the only maintenance or repair issues.
I don't think anybody believes that all you need is $65 oil changes. I don't think anybody expected the N63 engine to be such a ****tard. You'd think that for $100,000 you would have high expectations anyway. No?

·
Super Moderator
1,060 Posts
I don't think anybody believes that all you need is $65 oil changes. I don't think anybody expected the N63 engine to be such a ****tard. You'd think that for $100,000 you would have high expectations anyway. No?
I really don't. In fact, I think that for 100k I EXPECT there to be more issues, not less. These are very complicated systems... It's kind of the reason why a 20 year old base Toyota Corolla will probably still be running with $30 oil changes and no other issues. I think our door panels have more technology than that entire car does (and probably even a NEW Corolla for that matter, lol).

More complicated=more expensive to run NOT more reliable. That's not a connection I've ever made.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I expect better quality from BMW, and especially for 100k. But like I said, if not for the bad engine, these cars wouldn't be so unreliable

1 - 11 of 11 Posts