BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the battery in my '06 525xi. Lights, dash all come on. When I turn the key to start there's nothing. No sound. No click. No crank. Car will not start. Any advice?

·
2008 535xi wagon
3,062 Posts
My best guess is that your wire for the starter motor isn't hooked up. The one that runs underneath your car all the way to the front. Fat and red. Recheck all your connections at the terminals, make sure nothing's loose and everything's connected. Possibly a blown fuse? Check the fuse(s) at F8 in your glove compartment.

Also, it's not likely to be the issue, but did you register the new battery? (It's charged, right?)

See also:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469531

"In case of customer complaint, disconnect the IBS connector X13895 (3-pin connector with 2 wires). The IBS is located on the negative battery terminal. Follow the white/blue and gray wires from the IBS to locate X13895.
If the vehicle now starts, the IBS is faulty and must be replaced."

·
2008 535xi wagon
3,062 Posts
I think an important question is whether or not everything was starting before the battery swap. Was it the battery swap that caused the issue, or was it pre-existing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all, thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Prior to the battery replacement, for the last couple months, I've noticed the cranking to be a little slower, but in the end it's always started. Monday morning, when temps here were about 0 degrees F, I went to start it and it cranked slowly then died.

I tried to jump start it but that didn't work at all.

I also checked all the connections for tightness and all look good. I also checked all the fuses (F7, 8, 15). All are good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, I took the old battery into NAPA and they hooked it up and noticed it was way down in power, like half what it should be.

·
2008 535xi wagon
3,062 Posts
In addition, voltage at the starter motor connection (You'll need a buddy to help you out with this). Which you should loosen a bit, rotate, and tighten up again to free any corrosion or crap that might be causing a bad connection.

I also read if your battery is too low the starter won't even try to crank. You never said if the new battery was charged. A battery charged to 12V at 80 degrees could very well read 10V at 0. Simply jumping it might not be enough.

Your starter is somewhere below the 4th or 5th intake manifold, you should be able to make out this connection with a flashlight, and maybe reach it without taking off the intake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts