Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a code for O2 sensor heater and have been experiencing higher than usual fuel consumption for several weeks with gradual decrease in mileage. I decided to replace both O2 sensors at the same time and did a complete reset of adaptations. Let me tell you! WOW! Did my 550i come alive. I thought I had powerful V8 but this made a difference. The throttle is amazingly responsive and loosing traction doesn't even require more than half the throttle in 1st gear. Amazing!

On a side note, when I was picking my car up from my Indy an e60 M5 6 speed manual was parked right beside my car.

·
somppsa
23 Posts
Glad it worked out. You most likely had bad sensors because of error codes and car feels fine now. But almost every person notices a big difference after all adaptations reset even without any change parts,including myself ***x1f600; that difference will slowly fade away as car learns back to normal. Hope yours will be good now ***x1f44d;

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad it worked out. You most likely had bad sensors because of error codes and car feels fine now. But almost every person notices a big difference after all adaptations reset even without any change parts,including myself ***x1f600; that difference will slowly fade away as car learns back to normal. Hope yours will be good now ***x1f44d;
My Bank 2 O2 sensor was not doing it's job properly for a while, that's why I had less power under foot. Still felt strong but not like this. I didn't have codes until I replaced the clutch and was told that one of my sensors was loose. They tightened it and I got a sensor heater code, which basically left the sensor inoperable. All is good now, but these things are not chesp.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
I dont have any codes for my O2's but i wonder if mine are needed and could bring back some of that power that im missing besides me needing new coils and spark plugs im going to do soon.

how difficult was it to replace the sensors ? i see they are located right under the manifold, how did you get to them ? from up top or bottom

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check the oil separator for proper function
All is good for now and the car performs at it's best, as far as I know. No codes, no misfires, perfect cold starts, smooth power delivery, etc. I did clean out my CCV hose last year. It had some goo (sandy looking crap) in it. No vacuum leaks though. Cleaned and put back on. All good. I should probably check it again soon. Thanks for suggestion.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont have any codes for my O2's but i wonder if mine are needed and could bring back some of that power that im missing besides me needing new coils and spark plugs im going to do soon.

how difficult was it to replace the sensors ? i see they are located right under the manifold, how did you get to them ? from up top or bottom
I delegated the work to my Indy. Paid $100 for labor. Sensors were VERY expensive though! I had guests over the holidays and didn't have the time or mind to work on the car. Not to mention the weather. It takes about an hour to change both and they are accessed from the bottom. Couple of things need to be removed (covers and two supports - 15 minutes) before replacing the O2 sensors. Adaptation reset needs to be done after replacement for the DME to learn and store new values from the new O2 sensors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts