BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Enjoys Various Cheeses
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped out the originals for HID projectors with halos and LED daytime running lights. Went for kind of the Audi look I've seen with the LED strip along the top instead of the bottom. Thoughts? Is this too much?

·
Enjoys Various Cheeses
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The halos look great but IMO BMW's trademark is halo's and Audi's is LED strips so both together are kind of busy, over the top. As the other respondent said "it's your car" so do what makes you happy!:thumbup:

·
BE IRIE
885 Posts
Can you remove the LEDs?

Agree w/everyone else, the strip is a bit much. Design fail. But it's your car so bling it however you want.

·
Enjoys Various Cheeses
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear all of you. If I couldn't take the comments I wouldn't have asked. Eh, it was a risk I took. They could be removed but they were integrated into the plastic housing of the headlights so taking them out would scar up the plastic. This feedback does help me not go any further. :)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App

·
YYZED3M Driver
160 Posts
ZEDWORD.... You should take a little road trip Friday evening to Murfreesboro. The Cruise-In, in Belk's parking lot @ The Avenue. I-24 and Medical Center Parkway... 5-9pm. Cost all of........$1.

Crappy : )

(Just outside of Nashville)

·
Hat's On, Tops Down!
1,391 Posts
You are getting off lite, the guys on a 7 series forum bust this guys butt big time for putting LED's on his car. They were brutal.

The LED's go on Chrystlers, Audi's and other junk out there, not BMW's. IMHO.

But the halo's do look nice. :thumbup:

Regards

·
Enjoys Various Cheeses
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Believe me, I'm not getting off light. I'm getting grief from friends offline too. Already looking at removal. But thanks on comment about halos. Keepin those.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not a fan of the LED's (on your car, or any other for that matter), but the halo's look good. Where did you get the setup from?

·
Enjoys Various Cheeses
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where did you get the setup from?
They are CariD Black Spyders
http://www.carid.com/1997-bmw-z3-headlights/spyder-halo-projector-headlights-315173.html

I need to rewire them because I want the halos on all the time...at the moment they only come on if I engage the fog lamps, and I dont want to drive around during day with an array of lamps on.

The lowbeams in the projectors are 6K H1 HIDs (so they're bright white, not rice blue).

The highbeams in the non-projector side are 4K Putco Mirror Whites.

Another nice thing about these is it replaces the turn signal amber plastic, so now my turn signals are white too.

Very easy bolt on swap...with my car the headlights are held in with three screws then it slides cleanly out the front. If you do this, just make sure you seal the aftermarket plastic housing to ensure you don't get moisture build-up inside after a while. I used RTV black.

·
Hat's On, Tops Down!
1,391 Posts

·
DROZ3
181 Posts
I like both but separately, together they make your headlight too busy in my opinion.

·
Registered
87 Posts
they are not that aweful. I think if you could tone them down 20% they would be better. A llittle too bright . I would have prefered them under the light instead of over but thats my 2 cents. Actually my son just installed some nice halos in his M roadster. We are looking for a white High beam that does not have a blue bulb when not on. He has the chrome driving and a led for the turn and they all match when on, but the high beam looks bad as you see the blue bulb in the day time

·
ZEDHEAD
236 Posts
They would look better if you also had the neon under car lights form the 90's along with one of those rear wings that look like they are being held on with an erector set and set 15 inch wheels with ultra low profile tires that stick out no less than three inches from the fenders and one of those coffee can mufflers and a set of curb feelers and mud flaps to bring everything together.

·
Hat's On, Tops Down!
1,391 Posts
^ Oh man, that just gave me goose bumps! :rofl:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts