BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Shannon
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i bought the car i only got one master key...i think that it would be smart to get a spare just in case i would lock my keys in the car...i did go to the dealership and they said $175 plus a fee to program the key which takes about 30 minutes!!!! does anyone else have any other suggestions or is this my best bet.

· Registered
1,270 Posts
Programming the key takes maybe 2 minutes tops. There are instructions how to do it somewhere on this site. Tell them to give you the key for $175 and do it yourself. I paid about the same but they programmed it for free.

· Registered
43 Posts
Same issue sorta

I got my car with only one key also. Bought the second key for around $160 and the dealer was going to do it for free. But I was rushing during my lunch hour just to get to the dealer to pick up the key so I told them I'd do it. It really is a simple as the instructions on this say make it seem. Takes a minute or two to get it programmed, super simple

· Registered
379 Posts
yea i read that it doesnt take that much time to program....i was shocked when they said it would take 30 min....bunch BS!!! oh well THANKS
There are two different things that they could be referring to. The first is just the initialization/re-initialization procedure that ventsyv is referring to which is easily accomplished yourself (see: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=164644&d=1225064328 )

The other is cycling the particular RFID active/inactive in the EWS system. While this needs to be performed by the dealer it is rarely necessary with a new key as all 10 chip IDs are typically set active in the system from the factory. The only time I have seen this be necessary is when someone previously has had the chip ID from a lost/stolen key set inactive (which is a good idea)and the dealer has set all but the owner-retained chip IDs inactive.

· Registered
622 Posts
it is best to have two real keys for any car..
things happen to keys..lost, stolen,misplaced, fall into pool..
for that reason i always order the missing second key.
it seems that every used car i purchase is always missing the second key.
key programming is a simple sequence of pressing key buttons and placement in ignition.
you must have ALL keys available at the same time.
The VALET guy will do it for you for free when you pick key up..just give them $3-$5 or do a google for the one time process.
It took all of maybe 2 minutes for him to program it while i waited.

· Coupe OR Never
1,447 Posts
sorry... My bad...

I thought you meant to say valet key and made a typo; used "w" instead of "v". Then I made typo too by saying vallet instead of valet:)
I should have cought it.

So sorry again. You are good.:thumbup:
Though is there really a wallet key? I have heard of a spare key, valet key but never a wallet key...

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Sorry. My bad...
I have never heard of wallet key and all of a sudden thought that you were refering to valet key and made a typo by using "w".
Funny I made a typo by saying vallet:)

So sorry again. You are good. Though is there really such thing as wallet key? I have heard of spare, valet but not a wallet key.
No problem :) . I think I might have seen it called wallet key in the owners manual and I have heard a few other festers refer to it as the wallet key as well.

· Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,209 Posts
Valet key, with restricted access to trunk and glovebox, is gray in color.

Spare key, with full access and just no remote features, is black in color. AKA Wallet key.

The E90 owner's manual mentions that those models include both, so you get a total of four keys when you purchase a new unit. Take note when buying a used car.

· Registered
1,199 Posts
All models come with 4 keys when bought new. Not just E90.
When I got my E46 used, I only got one remote key. So my car must have 3 keys out there somewhere.
Definitely NOT good...:(
Same here, I only got one key and it makes me wonder what the hell happened to the others :dunno: This seems to be one of the most popular cases for a used E46. Consider yourself lucky if you got your car used with all keys, or even an extra one!

· Registered
379 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.