BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have the rear shock out, I need to replace the rear springs. I removed the swaybar link, lowered the TA all the way down, but the spring will not come out:yikes: The manual said to disconnect the drive shaft??, some of the posts indicate that you really don't need to.....HELP!!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Removing the driveshaft is pretty simple - you just need the right star socket to do the job - sorry I don't remember the size.

But it would probably be simpler to rent a spring compressor.

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
myZ said:
Now that I have the rear shock out, I need to replace the rear springs. I removed the swaybar link, lowered the TA all the way down, but the spring will not come out:yikes: The manual said to disconnect the drive shaft??, some of the posts indicate that you really don't need to.....HELP!!
I can not picture how removing the drive shaft will help at all, Did you use a small pry bad to push the spring down, I did mine a few months ago and gently pushed the spring down with bar and it came right out

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Taking out the driveshaft will let the swing arm drop another few inches. No need for a prybar that way.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Disconnecting the driveshaft will let you lower the whole subframe further, assuming you want to do that. No special tools needed to do it, but...

Support the differential by its body (not by the cover) with the floor jack, and remove the differential mounting bolt. Then lower the differential a bit on the jack. The stock subframe bushings will let it droop several inches.

No good way to get a spring compressor on the rear springs while they're on the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SORRY, Half-shafts, I will try the prybar first ....VERY carefully, if not, then I will disconnect the half-shafts.

Thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
It's unlikely that the halfshafts are stopping the trailing arms. The halfshafts will pop out of the differential if the trailing arm comes down too far. The real stop: the trailing arm hits the subframe. That's why lowering the subframe helps, but you may not need to lower the whole thing, just the back of it. You do that as I mentioned in my last post.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
dwm said:
Disconnecting the driveshaft will let you lower the whole subframe further, assuming you want to do that. No special tools needed to do it, but...

Support the differential by its body (not by the cover) with the floor jack, and remove the differential mounting bolt. Then lower the differential a bit on the jack. The stock subframe bushings will let it droop several inches.

No good way to get a spring compressor on the rear springs while they're on the car.
Forgot about that, good catch.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Springs in and out very quickly, with the use of a prybar. Rears are complete!! Now moving on to the fronts, driver side is out, need spring compressor to get everything apart.

Thanks for the advice from everone, so far!!

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
One other tip, make sure the emergency brake it released. Pulling the lever puts upward tension on the control arms.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
COMPLETE, the transformation is done!!! New springs and shocks are in, didn't seem very hard to do. Now, if the camper wasn't in front of the car I would take for a spin!!!!

Thanks for everyone advice!!

Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.