BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
Easily, when dealers are marking prices up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So when we need replacements it will be 4*$800=$3,200 :tsk: :tsk: :bawling: :mad: :bawling: WTF :yikes:

·
10,856 Posts
You did read that he just ordered tires through discount tire?

I've read that BMW is pricing E65 wheels at 17K. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

·
749 Posts
Plus from what I've read the "run flats" don't handle as well. (Assumption that all the Z4's have the run-flats)
Go to the local Toyo dealer if you have one nearby..

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
This is what I would do if (I mean WHEN) I get a Z4...

Buy one spare, cheap wheel (like a $200 replica) and mount a cheap, H or T rated tire (or just a Sumitomo HTZ II or something like that) on it and leave that at home. Swap all 4 tires on the Z4 out to the tire of my choice (B-Stone S-03s). If I EVER have a blow out or flat, call Roadside to tow my car HOME, swap for the spare for the time being and get the flat replaced ASAP.

·
Living on the redline
27,240 Posts
a lame post from an even lamer forum, it takes a real genius to use gray text on a gray background

anyways, a fool and his money are soon parted, as only a fool would try to get a tire through the dealership, about $1,200 for the whole set of 18's thru TireRack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Potenza+RE050

to add insult to injury, he probably could have had it FedEx drop shipped in the next day

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
well while on the subject of tires. will someone explain to me why the dunlop sp8080e factory on my roadster are not well liked by most people. they seem to be great tires good wet grip, quite etc.. they also seem to hold up tread life that is
now i do not auto x so i was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
01silz3 said:
well while on the subject of tires. will someone explain to me why the dunlop sp8080e factory on my roadster are not well liked by most people. they seem to be great tires good wet grip, quite etc.. they also seem to hold up tread life that is
Max,
It depends what you are comparing them to.
I had 8080s on my black car when I got it.
They were okay.
Then I put on some RE730s that came with a spare set of wheels.
Much better.
Then we got the gray car with Pilot Sports.
Better still.
When the RE730s on the black car wore out, I put on SO3s.
Best so far.
What's next?
The gray car will need new shoes come spring, I'll see what's hot then.

And then there's the Hoosiers...
So far, nothing has compared to them (at least not with a DOT rating).
Perhaps a new compound for this coming season (know anything about that TZ4)?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
01silz3 said:
Why? Cuz they SUCK ASS. Seriously. My 98 M roadster came with them as OE. I had a shimmy at around 65 mph and had the dealer try to find the reason (FYI- BMW will pay for alignments in the first 1200 miles so if you have a suspected alignment problem don't wait). Anyways....the conclusion was: 3 tires out of round the 4th almost of out round. Not to mention that the 2 rear tires were chunking BAD. Note: the car had not been at the track or autox at that point in time. The 8080s just flat out SUCK ASS.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Bruce said:
Why? Cuz they SUCK ASS. Seriously. My 98 M roadster came with them as OE. I had a shimmy at around 65 mph and had the dealer try to find the reason (FYI- BMW will pay for alignments in the first 1200 miles so if you have a suspected alignment problem don't wait). Anyways....the conclusion was: 3 tires out of round the 4th almost of out round. Not to mention that the 2 rear tires were chunking BAD. Note: the car had not been at the track or autox at that point in time. The 8080s just flat out SUCK ASS.
thus their nickname DunFlops :D

·
Living on the redline
27,240 Posts
dakarm said:
thus their nickname DunFlops :D
no, their name is Dun-Lopsideds because they're already done lopsided before you ever even mount them on a rim.

·
M Mad
10,479 Posts
Randy Forbes said:
Max,
It depends what you are comparing them to.
I had 8080s on my black car when I got it.
They were okay.
Then I put on some RE730s that came with a spare set of wheels.
Much better.
Then we got the gray car with Pilot Sports.
Better still.
When the RE730s on the black car wore out, I put on SO3s.
Best so far.
What's next?

How about a set of Michelin Pilot Cup Sports for street? :thumbup:

The M3 CSL uses them. :)

Not a great AutoX tire since they take too long to heat up. But WONDERFUL track tire. And good street tires (not long life though :cry: ).

And a hot tip for street is Michelin has a groove pattern to cut in them to enhance wet perofrmance at almost NO decrease in dry performance. :D Nad I hear that Bimmerworld will sell you the tires at Tire Rack prices, but already properly cut, if you ask them nicely. :thumbup:

·
Any ride will do
17,472 Posts
Randy Forbes said:

Street tires? Could ya try the ES 100s? V-man won't put on anything you haven't done first...

·
A Clean Windshield
2,245 Posts
es-100's

I have the es 100's on the coupe. Love them. I had the so3's but wore them out real quick. the yoko's are harder compounds so they should last longer. Track tires are one thing but when you gotta drive the street, the cost is just too much for me to change tires often, not to mention the stress of having someone touch the rims! I get really worked up when the rims are in somone else's hands. so far the yoko' are good in rain and fine in dry. no drifting around or grabbing during lane changing. Super price from tire rack.

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
so you say my tires suck :D
well one more question for you then
the out of round you speak about i assume this would give a rough ride at highway speeds correct? in other words i would know when my tires become crap , right now they seem to be smooth on the highway

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
01silz3 said:
so you say my tires suck :D
well one more question for you then
the out of round you speak about i assume this would give a rough ride at highway speeds correct? in other words i would know when my tires become crap , right now they seem to be smooth on the highway
My tires had a slight (not affecting ride quality or anything, just annoying as hell) at highway speeds (didn't notice it under 65 mph).

BTW- the local Discount Tire warrantied out all the tires and replaced them with S02 PPs (WONDERFUL tire).

·
Living on the redline
27,240 Posts
it's a quality control issue, not all are bad, but way too many bad ones slipped through the cracks, the problem is a well documented fact

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Tires

I just bought 4 New Pirelli Tires off Ebay for $200. $80 to ship them and then $20 a piece to mount them at my local tire store but the overal savings was still around $500. So give that a try ! Jeff : )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts