BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tires are original and are pretty worn at this point. I am at 49k miles. I will be replacing pretty soon. What have all of you replacing your tires with? The stock tires werent that great in snow. I am looking for a tire that peforms as well on dry roads, but with better snow performace. Suggestions?

· Juliet-Oscar-November
66 Posts
vinu_neuro said:
My tires are original and are pretty worn at this point. I am at 49k miles. I will be replacing pretty soon. What have all of you replacing your tires with? The stock tires werent that great in snow. I am looking for a tire that peforms as well on dry roads, but with better snow performace. Suggestions?
I just recently bought the Yokohama Geolander G052 HT/S (255/55/18) for the same year X5 with sport package. With the recent rains here in Los Angeles and a ski/snowboard trip last week, I've been able to test them out some on wet and snowy road conditions. With just a little over 1,000 miles since getting the tires, I am quite happy with my decision- which, btw was one of the tires recommended by tirerack.com when I was shopping around for what I was looking for. I do also have to add that for tires that have a more aggressive tread pattern compared to the OEM Michellins, the ride is still remarkable quiet!

Here's the thread for more info, including some photos:
FUN IN THE SNOW with my X5

I hope this info helps. Good luck! :thumbup:

· Hog Town
1,150 Posts
vinu_neuro said:
If you want "better snow performance" then I'm afraid 17" dedicated snows are your tickets. Really, all-seasons are decent to good at everything but not very good (forget about great) at anything.

· Automotive Monomaniac
12,663 Posts
49K out of OEM tires is pretty darn good. I'd have to say buy the Michelin's again, and a second set (dedicated) for the snow.

· Registered
2015 X5 xDrive35i MSport 2013 X5 xDrive35i
1,369 Posts
I'll second the comments about Geolander tires made by X5-4-fighting. We have had all sorts of snow and ice in CT and the Yoks have been great. They also work great in the dry.

· Registered
698 Posts
vraa said:
Michelin Energy's? I hate them with a passion and I can't wait to replace them.

Had them on my LS400. :X

Talk about worst rain traction EVER!
Hahahah I'm afraid the Energy tires aren't the worst there is. Yes, they stop terribly in wet and snow, but you obviously haven't driven a car with Goodyear Eagle RS-A all-seasons.

My old 330i came with those, and you could make them spin in dry weather with an automatic transmission. The Toronto Police Department equips all their Ford Crown Victorias and Chevy Impalas with the Eagle RS-A tires...hahha do they think they are "investing" in better equipment? LOL

The Michelin Energy tire has far superior traction when accelerating, plus they stop really well on dry pavement compared to the Eagle RS-A.

· Juliet-Oscar-November
66 Posts
Zulu95 said:
I'll second the comments about Geolander tires made by X5-4-fighting. We have had all sorts of snow and ice in CT and the Yoks have been great. They also work great in the dry.
I'm glad to know that even another X5 owner who lives in a region that typically receives a good amount of snow and ice feels the same way about the tires. It makes me feel even better about my tire choice! :thumbup:

903 Posts
vinu_neuro said:
any options other than geolander that you guys have had good experiences with?
I have Pirelli Scorpion Zeros (255/55/18) for 25k miles now. Outstanding dry traction and handling (night and day compared to Michelin Energy), very good wet traction but no no for snow. Ride is firmer than the Michelins and noise started to get loud at about 15k miles.

· Juliet-Oscar-November
66 Posts
vinu_neuro said:
any options other than geolander that you guys have had good experiences with?
Gary from Tirerack.com did also recommend 2 other tires besides the Yokohama Geolanders- Bridgestones and Pirelli. Here's the thread ... http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84086

For me, it came down to the Yokohama and Pirelli tires; both very comparable tires based on what you're looking for. The Yokohama tires edged out the Pirellis based on tread life and overall rating! So, good luck again, Vinu.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only thing that concerns me about the Yoko Geolander is that it is a "truck" tire. What is the difference between this kind of tire and the OEM Michelins? I am afraid that the dry handling will be worse with these. Comments?

· Hog Town
1,150 Posts
vinu_neuro said:
The only thing that concerns me about the Yoko Geolander is that it is a "truck" tire. What is the difference between this kind of tire and the OEM Michelins? I am afraid that the dry handling will be worse with these. Comments?
Geolander is an all-season light truck or SUV tire but that doesn't mean it's made for off-roading with big knobby treads. All it means is it has increased load weight rating.

· Welcomed to the 'Fest!
752 Posts
mkh said:
I have Pirelli Scorpion Zeros (255/55/18) for 25k miles now. Ride is firmer than the Michelins and noise started to get loud at about 15k miles.
I have these tires in 19" and they are driving me nuts with noise after about 16K miles. I'm sort of glad to know that I'm not the only one. I'm ready to get new tires just to quiet down the howling. :mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.