BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1999 323i. The air conditioner has gone out, and a trusted mechanic has told me that it needs a new compressor. He's charging $535 for the part. I've seen new compressors online which are in that price range, but I've also seen rebuilt compressors for sale which cost around $200-$300. Should I have the mechanic order a new compressor or purchase the rebuilt one and save a little money?

Thanks

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
I just bought a 1999 323i. The air conditioner has gone out, and a trusted mechanic has told me that it needs a new compressor. He's charging $535 for the part. I've seen new compressors online which are in that price range, but I've also seen rebuilt compressors for sale which cost around $200-$300. Should I have the mechanic order a new compressor or purchase the rebuilt one and save a little money?

Thanks
Its all about price vs. "cost". The cheaper one may last you, it may not. And given the price of r-134a and the associated cost of vacuuming the system and so forth it is likely a better "cost" long term to buy a new one. $535 is a bit high, Max from OEM BImmer Parts can hook you up with one for less and he is awesome!

I went the el cheapo route 2.5 years ago and bought a used compressor for $150 and it has worked flawlessly ever since (knock on wood). :thumbup: But I am the exception and not the rule. If at all possible, go new.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts