BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s the best way to put opposite torque on the crank shaft while removing the 4 bolts? The seal on mine cracked and I’m getting errors related to the alternator, and my power steering is noticeably off. See cracks in picture.

I found a video about putting some tool at the rear of the engine into a plate. Please tell me there’s and easier way!

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts

This tool is the "easy" way, but the hole is hard to reach. Lay on top of the engine and reach straight down.

Upgraded harmonic balancer:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Boulderjasm - If you don't want to buy the special BMW tool, according to post #5 of this thread a 6 mm hex wrench performs adequately. As noted in the thread, don't forget to remove it before you try starting the car!

And here is a great YouTube video that shows how the pin needs to fit. AA Rodriguez does a great job - be sure to check out his other videos on the M57 engine. A lot of good stuff on his web site.

Another option - proceed at your own risk! - I have also heard of people using a block of wood under the flywheel cogs to prevent the flywheel moving. Can't find the thread now, but I recall people first jacking the front of the car up using the jack placement location, then placing some scrap hardwood on a jack stand underneath the flywheel cogs. Then lowering the car down so that the weight of the car pressed the wood into the flywheel cogs and prevented flywheel rotation when removing the bolts. To repeat - try that at your own risk!

Good luck - your harmonic balancer is on its last legs!

Stephen

·
Registered
1 Posts
What’s the best way to put opposite torque on the crank shaft while removing the 4 bolts? The seal on mine cracked and I’m getting errors related to the alternator, and my power steering is noticeably off. See cracks in picture. I found a video about putting some tool at the rear of the engine into a plate. Please tell me there’s and easier way!
I can’t locate where to stick the locking pin!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I can’t locate where to stick the locking pin!
It's very easy when the engine on a stand like the AA Rodriguez video!
Watch the video and look for details on the engine block you will try to find by feel only, eventually you will find the right spot. You will need to lay on the top of the engine to reach the spot.

Tie a string to the locking pin, in case you drop it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts