BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I recently replaced my rear driverside shock because it was the worst. The side sagged, slammed when hitting bumps, and was generally uncomfortable. Being on a budget however, I'm replacing one shock at a time. Is this a bad thing, outside of consistency?

I just replaced that shock on Friday and have noticed an increased comfort in that corner lol, but I think the other shocks not being the greatest either are are putting a damper (pun?) on things. The rear still slams a bit going over bumps, but it almost feels like it's still in the corner that I replaced the shock. No idea why.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You should at the very least replace in pairs as they wear out at a generally equal rate. Its a safe bet that if one is gone, the other is done or very close . Having one new shock and one worn shock can compromise handling and ride quality and the problems with the shock not replaced will feel greater once there is a new shock in place on the opposite side.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should at the very least replace in pairs as they wear out at a generally equal rate. Its a safe bet that if one is gone, the other is done or very close . Having one new shock and one worn shock can compromise handling and ride quality and the problems with the shock not replaced will feel greater once there is a new shock in place on the opposite side.
OK thanks! I'll keep that in mind and replace in pairs for when I eventually replace the front.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey all.

I recently replaced my rear driverside shock because it was the worst. The side sagged, slammed when hitting bumps, and was generally uncomfortable. Being on a budget however, I'm replacing one shock at a time. Is this a bad thing, outside of consistency?

I just replaced that shock on Friday and have noticed an increased comfort in that corner lol, but I think the other shocks not being the greatest either are are putting a damper (pun?) on things. The rear still slams a bit going over bumps, but it almost feels like it's still in the corner that I replaced the shock. No idea why.
Not sure what you mean by "slams a bit" If you replaced a shock and the side on the rear is still "slamming" it could be a different part / bushing causing the problem. The shock upper mount is a common ware part and it is very bad, will cause even the new shock to not function correctly, Please see the video attached below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_iEBOGCTG0

Also, as stated, you need to replace them in pairs rear / front, or you will compromise the geometry of your suspension in ways that will cause many kinds of control problems. I understand the $$$ thing, just trying to help:)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Slamming?

Hey all.

Not sure what you mean by "slams a bit" If you replaced a shock and the side on the rear is still "slamming" it could be a different part / bushing causing the problem. The shock upper mount is a common ware part and it is very bad, will cause even the new shock to not function correctly, Please see the video attached below:

Also, as stated, you need to replace them in pairs rear / front, or you will compromise the geometry of your suspension in ways that will cause many kinds of control problems. I understand the $$$ thing, just trying to help:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Thanks so much! That video was helpful. I also replaced the shock mount as well. The old one was completely deteriorated. Edit: Like in the video, it squeaked very badly! Just sitting down in the driver seat would make it squeak. Was very embarassing.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
794 Posts
In addition to replacing the rear mounts, it is very important to not tighten the lower shock mount bolt till you have the spring under tension. The shock is designed to allow you to install the bolt and just screw it in loosely till you have the weight of the car on the rear control arm, thus positioning the bottom of the shock bushing in a non loaded position while at normal height, otherwise you will put a constant stress on the bushing causing premature failure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.