BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I recently replaced my rear driverside shock because it was the worst. The side sagged, slammed when hitting bumps, and was generally uncomfortable. Being on a budget however, I'm replacing one shock at a time. Is this a bad thing, outside of consistency?

I just replaced that shock on Friday and have noticed an increased comfort in that corner lol, but I think the other shocks not being the greatest either are are putting a damper (pun?) on things. The rear still slams a bit going over bumps, but it almost feels like it's still in the corner that I replaced the shock. No idea why.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should at the very least replace in pairs as they wear out at a generally equal rate. Its a safe bet that if one is gone, the other is done or very close . Having one new shock and one worn shock can compromise handling and ride quality and the problems with the shock not replaced will feel greater once there is a new shock in place on the opposite side.
OK thanks! I'll keep that in mind and replace in pairs for when I eventually replace the front.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not sure what you mean by "slams a bit" If you replaced a shock and the side on the rear is still "slamming" it could be a different part / bushing causing the problem. The shock upper mount is a common ware part and it is very bad, will cause even the new shock to not function correctly, Please see the video attached below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_iEBOGCTG0

Also, as stated, you need to replace them in pairs rear / front, or you will compromise the geometry of your suspension in ways that will cause many kinds of control problems. I understand the $$$ thing, just trying to help:)
Thanks so much! That video was helpful. I also replaced the shock mount as well. The old one was completely deteriorated. Edit: Like in the video, it squeaked very badly! Just sitting down in the driver seat would make it squeak. Was very embarassing.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.