BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The business cd unit on my 330ci is getting more temperamental and I am thinking about change the head unit +/- the speakers/ even the amp.

I know it is an Alpine unit but I am not sure how it measures up with the other "genuine" Alpine after market models. Would you guys say it's a basic, middle grade or near top of the range model? The last thing I want to do is to buy a new model and then find out it sounds worse than before. Your opinion and advise would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but I'm not going with anything similar to OEM. In order to make any stock stereo sound better is to replace the entire system (head unit & speakers) and add a separate amp. You can check out the e46 wiki as it has audio upgrade information there.

I'm currently looking on Crutchfield.com at a Clarion media player (no cd player) so that I can use my iPhone in my car. You may want to look into that if you're not using cd's.

Good luck with your upgrade! :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The business cd unit on my 330ci is getting more temperamental and I am thinking about change the head unit +/- the speakers/ even the amp.

I know it is an Alpine unit but I am not sure how it measures up with the other "genuine" Alpine after market models. Would you guys say it's a basic, middle grade or near top of the range model? The last thing I want to do is to buy a new model and then find out it sounds worse than before. Your opinion and advise would be much appreciated.
Have you considered the Dynavin? They should be cheaper in your part of the world! Imo, other than the Dynavin, aftermarket radios don't look right in the e46...

·
John Voight's BMW
912 Posts
i dunno, but everytime i turn on my unit i say, "it's business time" and if you ever swap it out you won't be able to say that anymore.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's a good saying you have there. I have yet to use it though. :) I definitely don't want a hideous upgrade over the business cd, but I don't want to spend the rest of my time listening to strictly the radio. I like my iPhone and would like to use it for music. :) I've considered some of the mod/add-on's in order to get my stereo to where I'd like it to be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you need to do anything to the vents to shift the air con control down a slot so that i can fit in a 2 din stereo?

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
JVC is the only stereo that will allow you to change the colors of the display to match OEM color perfectly. (if that matters to you)

·
Registered
48 Posts
wow that dynavin product looks amazing! i looked at their website but i couldn't find anything thats in the states..
if anyone else has knowledge about dynavin..please message me :) thanks in advance!

·
pconwell
218 Posts
I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but I'm doing this in the coming weeks:

The DUO interfaces with the OEM headunit and adds Ipod and sirius, and still lets you use the steering wheel controls and text displays. The Duo's big brother (the "media bridge") also adds bluetooth and USB support, but I've heard the bluetooth is not very good.

I suppose you would still need to replace your failing headunit, but I want to keep mine as 'OEM' as possible, and I especially want to keep the steering wheel controls working.

EDIT: Sorry, just want to be clear, the DUO add sirius "support" - you still need the 'universal tuner'.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but I'm doing this in the coming weeks:

The DUO interfaces with the OEM headunit and adds Ipod and sirius, and still lets you use the steering wheel controls and text displays. The Duo's big brother (the "media bridge") also adds bluetooth and USB support, but I've heard the bluetooth is not very good.

I suppose you would still need to replace your failing headunit, but I want to keep mine as 'OEM' as possible, and I especially want to keep the steering wheel controls working.

EDIT: Sorry, just want to be clear, the DUO add sirius "support" - you still need the 'universal tuner'.
For me, it's along the same line. I really want to be able to play my iPod via the radio in the car. If I can keep the OEM fine, if not, no biggie. I'll look into what you have in mind. Thanks for the info.

·
pconwell
218 Posts
For me, it's along the same line. I really want to be able to play my iPod via the radio in the car. If I can keep the OEM fine, if not, no biggie. I'll look into what you have in mind. Thanks for the info.
I don't care as much about the ipod, but I definitely NEED sirius radio, and I would prefer to keep everything OEM visually. I don't think aftermarket radios look right in BMWs. Plus the DUO lets you still use the steering wheel controls. Also - I don't know if this is true - but I heard that the headunit controls part of the dash display, so you would no longer be able to switch from the clock to the temperature for example, if you used an aftermarket head unit.

After looking at it though, I'm going to find a cheap, older iPod and put a bunch of music on there and just leave it in the truck for an 'invisible' music library. The DUO only supports certain versions of the iPod, so make sure to check the compatibility first.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you are looking for something almost identical to the factory radio (but at a lower price), this may be worth a look: www.bavariansoundwerks.com

:drive:
Thanks for the link. I checked them out and after all the add-on's (probably ones that are necessary), it's only half the cost of the Dynavin. I may look into it a bit further and possibly go that route now. :) :thumbup:

·
pconwell
218 Posts
If you are looking for something almost identical to the factory radio (but at a lower price), this may be worth a look: www.bavariansoundwerks.com

The head units from BSW are factory radios: "And because this is a factory BMW Business CD unit, fit, finish, and quality are perfect." If you car was produced after 08/02 (according to the BSW website) or 09/02 (according to Bimmerfest), you already have this head unit.

Unless you are talking about something different, but that is the only head units that BSW sells for the E46.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
The head units from BSW are factory radios: "And because this is a factory BMW Business CD unit, fit, finish, and quality are perfect." If you car was produced after 08/02 (according to the BSW website) or 09/02 (according to Bimmerfest), you already have this head unit.

Unless you are talking about something different, but that is the only head units that BSW sells for the E46.
You are correct. I probably could have said my message a bit better. :)

For my E46 (1999 model) the BSW radio is an update. So although it is a factory radio, it is not the original factory radio in my car. Therefore, I need the adapter sold by BSW.

The price at BSW is substantially less than the price at the BMW dealer.

·
pconwell
218 Posts
You are correct. I probably could have said my message a bit better. :)

For my E46 (1999 model) the BSW radio is an update. So although it is a factory radio, it is not the original factory radio in my car. Therefore, I need the adapter sold by BSW.

The price at BSW is substantially less than the price at the BMW dealer.

Yes, definitely cheaper. With a little bit of luck, you can probably find one on ebay for even cheaper. After doing some preliminary research, it looks like you need one of the following models:

Alpine, Model CD53, Part Number 65. 12-6 927 902 (Feb 2003-Aug 2003)
Alpine, Model CD53, Part Number 65. 12-6 941 505 (Jan 2004)
Alpine, Model CD53, Part Number 65. 12-6 943 429 (Oct 2004) MP3 Capable
Alpine, Model CD53, Part Number 65. 12-6 961 215 (Dec 2005-May 2006) MP3 Capable

There are a bunch on ebay, but most of them are older (and basically useless unless you just want AM/FM).

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Well, after looking at ebay, they are not much cheaper, plus you don't really know what you are getting, so BSW is probably the best way to go. Some links just for examples:
Wow! Some of those links are wanting $350 for a USED radio. :yikes: :yikes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts