BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Replacing the rear console upper cover?

14076 6
Has anyone replaced the rear console upper cover? Is there a write up or tools i need.

the storage compartment release button has broken and i'll need to replace it all. I tried gluing it but that didn't work.

I already ordered it but i have no idea how to go about replacing it.

It's part #2 in this picture:

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/20...leid=1422346&diagram=1918385&diagramCallOut=2
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Just had the same problem with my 2004. $58 for the cover and yes, the latch is just cheap plastic and mine broke as well. Someone on the forum told me it was a 10 minute fix and only 2 screws involved. it does look like a pretty simple fix!
great, is there someway to merge the threads?

if i can't find anything, I'll do a write up.
Just had the same problem with my 2004. $58 for the cover and yes, the latch is just cheap plastic and mine broke as well. Someone on the forum told me it was a 10 minute fix and only 2 screws involved. it does look like a pretty simple fix!
Hey guys, here is the info:
lower top, open console, remove two screws at bottom of cover, remove broken cover.
Remove any and all broken little pieces of plastic from old broken cover that may have fallen in.
When putting in the new cover be careful not to break any of the thin plastic legs....very delicate.
All together takes less than 10 mins.
Here is a picture of the 2 screws that hold it in place.
Picture isn't showing up. Did you remember to change the properties to be visible to everyone?
Here is a picture of the 2 screws that hold it in place.
Write-up

I went out and did the fix.

Two things:
  1. there are grommet like things holding the screws.
  2. be careful when removing the part. lifet slowly from the back.

guilty upper console to be removed

I opened the compartment door,

I removed the screws and grommets. (x)

button fell off

Pulled the cover off, from the back. had to raise top a little.

Placed the new cover, starting from the back. added grommets and screws.

Ran out and bought my girlfriend a funny running shirt to celebrate restored storage access in the USA
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.