BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The delivery of my car will happen soon (late October - early November). Because of the Track Handling Package the car will be coming with summer tires which won't be ideal for the winters here in NE. I plan on getting all seasons installed prior to the delivery of my car and that means there will be a close to brand new set of summer tires. I don't plan on using the summer tires. Should I keep the tires and sell them on my own or can the dealership reimburse me in some way?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
The delivery of my car will happen soon (late October - early November). Because of the Track Handling Package the car will be coming with summer tires which won't be ideal for the winters here in NE. I plan on getting all seasons installed prior to the delivery of my car and that means there will be a close to brand new set of summer tires. I don't plan on using the summer tires. Should I keep the tires and sell them on my own or can the dealership reimburse me in some way?
You should buy winter tires (not all seasons) and then keep both sets of tires and swap back to the summer tires in the summer (this is the best option)

Failing that, you will need to sell them yourself. You would likely find a buyer easily as people are always looking for either lease return tires or new tires cheap.... but you are doing yourself a dis service expecting all season tires to hold up like dedicated winter tires.

I am in a sunny climate so dont have to do this, but have read enough from seasoned people here who live in very cold climates to know that all season tires are mediocre all year long (basically) vs getting dedicated summer tires for when its warm, and dedicated winters for when you expect there to be cold weather.

Dealers in cold areas normally sell an entire wheel and tire package for winter use, so you might want to look into that.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,321 Posts
Good advice above.

Just to ask, you are NOT leasing- right?

Also I would NEVER NEVER NEVER buy tires from a BMW dealer- you will pay top dollar and their recommendations may be restricted by nonsense constraints from BMWAG that have no bearing on performance or safety

·
Registered
684 Posts
keep the summers on their rims for spring/summer use. buy some winter tires and rims for use during the winter. you don't want to be swapping tires back and forth in my opinion.

cheers,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jjrandorin, skilletbgm - I've experienced summer tires on a 2007 G35 I had many moons ago and they were absolutely awesome (If memory serves me right I believe the car came with Bridgestone summer tires). I know I'm doing a disservice to myself by going with all seasons but this is the route I want to take as I just want to "set it and forget it" until a new set of tires are needed.

ard - this car will not be a lease. You are correct about BMW's nonsensical restraints. I dropped by the dealership to ask about all seasons and BMW's recommendations could not come up with a set of all seasons for Track Handling Package configuration.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
jjrandorin, skilletbgm - I've experienced summer tires on a 2007 G35 I had many moons ago and they were absolutely awesome (If memory serves me right I believe the car came with Bridgestone summer tires). I know I'm doing a disservice to myself by going with all seasons but this is the route I want to take as I just want to "set it and forget it" until a new set of tires are needed.

ard - this car will not be a lease. You are correct about BMW's nonsensical restraints. I dropped by the dealership to ask about all seasons and BMW's recommendations could not come up with a set of all seasons for Track Handling Package configuration.
Well, from the dealership the issue is the track package comes with high performance tires, and the all season tires the dealership sells is not as highly speed rated as the ones for the summer tires. If you spec all seasons I dont think you can get track package as you know.

In any case, you will need to sell them yourself as its not likely the dealer will buy them from you. They would probably be happy to TAKE them from you (for free) but you likely dont want that, lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, from the dealership the issue is the track package comes with high performance tires, and the all season tires the dealership sells is not as highly speed rated as the ones for the summer tires. If you spec all seasons I dont think you can get track package as you know.

In any case, you will need to sell them yourself as its not likely the dealer will buy them from you. They would probably be happy to TAKE them from you (for free) but you likely dont want that, lol.
You are correct. I'm sure they would be happy but it makes no sense for me to give away brand new kick ass tires :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Why get the track package and then not want performance tires (in the summer)?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Well, track package comes with the M sport brakes, and the VSS steering. The car that comes with summer tires also has an increased top speed limiter (155) vs 130 for a car delivered with all season tires.

So, if those things appeal to someone, then it makes sense to get the track package to get those things but then swap the tires. Saying all that, I still think OP should go with winter / summer tire sets even though it is somewhat inconvenient (But I say that not having to deal with it, myself).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The main item from the Track Handling Package that is appealing is the bigger brakes. Had bigger brakes on the G35. The two cars after that (G37 and Q50) have the standard brakes which are okay but I've been spoiled by the bigger brakes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It doesn't matter how you try to justify it, I think it is stupid to swap your summer performance tires for all seasons in the scenario you outlined. Driving with summer tires in warm weather, and dedicated winters in the cold months is such a no brainer, I boggles the mind that someone would do otherwise. The difference between all seasons vs winter, or all seasons vs summer is like night and day, and I see all seasons tires for people who live in places that experience serious winter as no more than a compromise, or for people who are just too lazy to swap their tires twice a year and enjoy their car. Even your braking distance with all seasons is inferior. Yes, it might sound like I'm venting, but that is just how passionate I am about this subject.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The main item from the Track Handling Package that is appealing is the bigger brakes. Had bigger brakes on the G35. The two cars after that (G37 and Q50) have the standard brakes which are okay but I've been spoiled by the bigger brakes.
But what good are bigger brakes with tires that compromise traction vs summer tires?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts