BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping for a place for people to post B46 engine blackstone reports. Please do not post engines other than B46. If this works there’s no reason not to start a similar thread for other engine variants.
My goal is data about how this engine wears and operates and specifically how this BMW Twin Power Turbo 0/20 is doing for this engine. Only with plenty of data can we see if this is actually the best oil for this engine or if it’s a compromise to meet CAFE standards, manufacturer maintenance costs, fuel economy and wear prevention. Obviously BMW has a massive engineering dept and does oil testing but they have also changed oil service intervals several times on different models and switched oils and weights to meet CAFE and per EPA mandating to not poison catalytic converters. Also there’s anecdotal information to say BMW builds cars to last 100k. The question is how do I extend my engines life? The answer is data and testing and possibly shorter oil intervals BUT that’s where data is needed to prove it; through blackstone and TAN/TBN.
I’ve seen a handful of reports on B46 and so far ( which may change ) they have high Molybdenum, lower calcium, high silicone, higher iron and somewhat high fuel dilution. Let’s see if this trend continues and discuss what all this means as data comes in. Feel free to post a B46 running any oil as every data point helps paint the big picture but make sure to specify mileage and oil type.
Thanks!

725 miles- break in oil change. Factory oil fill which is TPT 0/20

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From another thread, cropped to remove his personal info. Oil is TPT 0/20 mileage is roughly 12.5k

·
Anti-Hack
6,257 Posts
Completely applies to quinces, but my Silverado has run 0w-20 since new and now has 97k miles. No oil burning, no oil usage, no compression issues, no noises. It is a NA GM V8, so while a turbo engine of course puts different strains on the oil, the cylinder deactivation on mine isn't a walk in the park, either, so I'm curious for the future UOAs as well, even anecdotally, but 0w-20 does seem to hold up in my truck (frequent towing/hauling) application. Turbos run a bit rich anyway for cooling, so I wonder if that is why your flashpoint is down? Just a thought.

The best I've used is Rotella 0w-20 Truck; designed for a hard working truck engine, I wonder how it would do it a turbo BMW, A3 be damned?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Completely applies to quinces, but my Silverado has run 0w-20 since new and now has 97k miles. No oil burning, no oil usage, no compression issues, no noises. It is a NA GM V8, so while a turbo engine of course puts different strains on the oil, the cylinder deactivation on mine isn't a walk in the park, either, so I'm curious for the future UOAs as well, even anecdotally, but 0w-20 does seem to hold up in my truck (frequent towing/hauling) application. Turbos run a bit rich anyway for cooling, so I wonder if that is why your flashpoint is down? Just a thought.

The best I've used is Rotella 0w-20 Truck; designed for a hard working truck engine, I wonder how it would do it a turbo BMW, A3 be damned?
From what I’ve read the flash point drops quickly with this oil. Also that’s not my report; it’s from another thread but I cropped his info out and posted it as I sure he wouldn’t mind since his info was gone.
Personally I won’t run this oil 12k miles…

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a VOA ( virgin oil analysis ) on TPT 0-20 but this is the SN version ( SOPUS ). I plan to get another VOA with the new API SP from Castrol and see how it’s changed.
Few things to consider: this oil has silicone to start off with so you may want to let blackstone know ahead of time. Also it’s loaded with moly.
Here’s the SN version I found- you’ll notice the calcium is crazy high which is not good for prevention of LSPI

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Drop in flash point is really bad news for turbo. Turbos love low Noack, high flash point oils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
From another thread, cropped to remove his personal info. Oil is TPT 0/20 mileage is roughly 12.5k
View attachment 1039718
This one is really bad.
KV100 is really good at first sight. But look mileage, flash point and fuel!
With that flash point and fuel, this oil should be thinned out to 0W16 maybe 0W15. But it shows robust 0W20. That means there is A LOT of oxidative thickening going on (sludge).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,397 Posts
following

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,397 Posts
I'm also thinking of doing a blackstone, but am going to wait till 6k

Reactions: HotGrbg

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
👆 this is the new Castrol TPT 0/20 with API-SP rating. You’ll know cause then new bottles have foil on top. Otherwise they look the same as the Pennzoil TPT 0/20. While I’m still not sold 100% on the TPT 0/20 oil the castrol is a marked improvement.

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,397 Posts
dude you got oil smudges on your report ;) LOL

Reactions: HotGrbg
1 - 13 of 13 Posts